Activision says Modern Warfare 2 “looks incredible”

Wednesday, 11th March 2009 19:40 GMT By Mike

callofduty46

Activision CFO Thomas Tippl reckon that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 “looks incredible”.

“Last year we had probably beaten most expert expectations by growing the Call of Duty franchise over the tremendous success that was the first iteration of Modern Warfare,” he said, speaking at the Wedbush Morgan Securities annual meeting today.

“For 2009, Modern Warfare is coming back, we expect it will be the most anticipated game of the year. Perhaps the number one game of the year despite the fact that it’s only going to launch in the holiday season.

“There is no doubt in my mind that it will again raise the bar for the shooter genre.The game is looking incredible and Infinity Ward, the studio that is developing it, is just doing an unbelievable job.”

Kudos to Kotaku on this one.

1. tatsujin

wonder how it will stand aganist Killzone 2.

2. Patrick Garratt

It’s got to be technically the best FPS ever made, innit. I really doubt they’d settle for anything less.

3. crippledhooba

I just hope its runs as well as modern warfare did on my pc back then.

4. Psychotext

Not sure it’s going to stand up against KillZone 2 mostly because it’s going to be running in 60fps.

5. Gekidami

I think he meant “looks incredible” in a more general sense, not just gfx…

6. Mike

Also, it’s very difficult for a multiplat game to run as well as a game that is console exclusive?

Also, has KZ2 suddenly became some kind of benchmark for FPSs? Why?

7. Gekidami

Its a benchmark when it comes to gfx…

8. Mike

Not imo it isn’t. Looks wicked, don’t get me wrong, but other console games have looked better, I reckon.

9. Gekidami

Like?

10. Mike

I’m not going to start that. I’m just saying, after playing KZ2, I don’t automatically consider it the bench for graphics in a console game.

11. Gekidami

Unlike you, alot of people do.

12. tatsujin

If it really runs in 60 FPS thats great, but what about the other details? Is it going to be graphically heavy like K2? Or is it going to offer the same turn-around in CoD4′s graphic engine? Most of all, and we all know it, its gonna get dumped down like the other multi-platform games (PS3/360). I’ll probably stay away from this game until reviews go out and hear really good comments about this game. Thats how I purchased CoD4.

13. Syrok

Will it win the BAFTA awards in 2011, though?

14. DrDamn

@Mike
    Technically there is so much going on in KZ2 that it is a benchmark game. It plays to the PS3′s strengths obviously, but in terms of coherence and overall effect it’s the best out there in my opinion.

As mentioned above CoD4 was 60fps (for the most part) and so the end result they will produce will be restricted by that target – then again they scale back on other aspects to achieve that, like resolution, AI and physics.

15. Funkyd

Holiday season as in this Summer, or Christmas?

16. Patrick Garratt

Q4. They said so in the last earning call. Be October, I reckon.

17. mortiferus

At best KZ2 is a benchmark for post effect fx. A lot of it’s uniqueness is due to the way guerrilla worked around the weaknesses of the PS3 by carefully creating a pseudo real time lighting model and layering the various effects over geometry.

MW2 will look fantastic and will more importantly play fantastic… unlike KZ2. I truly dislike the plodding movement and reaction plus the whole halo like floaty feel doesn’t do it for me. MW2 will rock!

18. mortiferus

And yes I just trademarked post effect fx, lol!!!

19. Shatner

nicebackpeddlingmike”I’mnotgoingtostartthat”lol

companyexecsaystheirgamelooksgreatandwateriswetlol

20. Mike

It’s not a back peddle at all. It’s just a discussion of that nature never usually ends well.

21. ShiroGamer

damn !
    if only we could get this one not as dumped down as i think it would be :(

and by we i mean PC gamers

22. Shatner

thendontstartthosesortofdiscussionsmikeduh!lol

23. Hunam

You’ve been using that word mashup thing a lot lately shatner…

sorry

youvebeenusingthatwordmashupthingalotlatelyshatner

24. ShiroGamer

this word mashup is lame

25. Johnny Cullen

I’m with Mike on this one.

Before Killzone 2, arguebly, COD4 was the benchmark for FPS games.

Now Killzone 2 is out, it just obliterates it.

Dont get me wrong, I still respect COD4 and it is still, even at a year and a half old, an amazing game.

But they (Infinity Ward) really have to work hard at this game if they have any chance to beat Killzone 2.

26. Cort

Mike, in answer to your original question: because many people think it is the best FPS yet (I agree). You know, just like many people thought (rightly) that CoD4 was the best yet when *it* came out. What is wrong with that? You may disagree with the former, but many people also disagreed with the latter and it was still perceived wisdom.

27. Gamoc

Mortiferus:
    I resent the ‘floaty’ criticism of KZ2, as KZ2 is the least floaty thing I’ve ever seen.
    ‘Plodding’? You mean…walking? What’s the problem?

And further comparing Killzone 2 to Halo will result in decapitation.

I personally thought Killzone 2 was brilliant both graphically and gameplay(ly?), it truly was a joy to play. Also, I want Modern Warfare 2 to rip off Killzone 2′s cover system, because just crouching behind boxes has really always pulled me out of FPS games, especially when surrounded by AI who can actually take cover properly.

I’ve got £10 that says Modern Warfare 2 will not surpass Killzone 2′s graphics. 60fps results in pulling back of graphical flashery as it is, but with it being multiplatform they simply can’t do it.

28. lelik

lol i wasn’t going to comment but….. i just want mike to know that i am laughing at him. HI MIKE!!! you sir, are moronic.

29. Gekidami

Johnny Cullen: “I’m with Mike on this one.
    Before Killzone 2, arguebly, COD4 was the benchmark for FPS games.
    Now Killzone 2 is out, it just obliterates it.”

Wait what? Mike said quite the opposite… And as for CoD4 being the ‘best’ for so long, honnestly, i found CoD5 ALOT better.

30. G1GAHURTZ

A couple facts…

1. COD4 is a better game than Killzone 2 by general consensus of the gaming press. – Proof: KZ2′s Metacritic score of 92 doesn’t beat COD4′s 94 on both PS3 and 360.

2. KZ2 has been heavily criticised for showing no originality in its campaign, whatsoever. Practically everything in there has been lifted from other games.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like some of the people who were championing the originality and freshness of the likes of LBP, whilst mocking the industry’s ability to deliver original IP’s don’t seem to have a problem when it comes to KZ2.

Anyway, if we are going to compare the two games, then lets not ignore the fact that one of COD’s better points is the quality of its gameplay. Its control scheme has set the standard in console FPS’s, which is why games like KZ2 give you the option to use a ‘COD style’ setup.

This is a big compliment to COD by Guerilla, but I seriously doubt that any decent console FPS will be released in the future without giving you this option anyway.

Besides, KZ2′s movement is much closer to Ubisoft’s Clancy games than COD4. They are much slower paced, and the focus is on tactical positioning rather than your ability to move/aim/twitch.

I play loads FPS’s, so I can easily appreciate that there will be people who will and do prefer the slow paced tactical type of movement over COD4′s. Likewise there are many people, myself included, who prefer the twitch accuracy that COD4 gives you. I don’t think that there’s any need to compare the two, since they are both aimed at getting the best out of different types of gameplay.

But as far as the visuals of both games go… Although I personally would rather play an FPS with 9/10 visuals running at 60fps over one with 10/10 visuals running at 25/30, I have to concede that KZ2 is (from what I’ve seen) IMHO the best looking game (not just FPS) so far this console generation.

It’s interesting to note that with all of Sony’s hyping of hi-def and 1080p, it’s a game that doesn’t have the sharp, high res textures, or crisp look of other games that ends up being their flagship graphical show piece.

It’s also interesting to note that KZ2 was knocked off the top of the (UK) sales charts after only 1 week, while iirc COD4 was there or thereabouts for months in a period packed full of AAA releases. People were/are hyping this game like they were hyping LBP, but LBP’s sales seem to have completely fallen off the radar. So if they’re (the likes of KZ2 and LBP) genre defining, then why don’t the sales reflect this?

I think that it’s going to take more than amazing visuals to take the FPS crown away from the COD series, and I think that the long term sales will support this.

31. Shatner

personalopinionoffanboytrollsarenotfactstryagainlol

32. Mike

Strange you didn’t type that after all the “I think KZ2 has got the best graphics ever” posts. Selective trolling, eh? Tsk tsk

33. G1GAHURTZ

Shut up Phil, before I come and smash your face in.

34. Gekidami

Obviously KZ2 will never sell as well as CoD4 seeing as one is on 3 different systems and the other is an exclusive… :rolleyes:

35. Shatner

mikenowtryingtodistractfromhisownbackpeddlinglol

fanboytrollthreatensviolencehowpatheticlol

carryonlol!

36. Shatner

mylastpostoughttohavestartedwith”a couple of facts”lol

37. G1GAHURTZ

OK Phil.

Violence you want, violence you get.

38. Shatner

threatsontheinternet:thewayofthefanboytrolllol

39. G1GAHURTZ

@ Gekidami

That’s true, but the point that I made was that COD4 was released when it had to compete with the likes of Halo 3.

KZ2 just got knocked off the top by an RTS.

40. G1GAHURTZ

Btw, if an yone out there wants to know the identity of the biggest fanboy troll around, all you have to do is chack the credits on Haze. He’s right there. He’s partly responsible for that pathetic mess of a game.

Isn’t that right Phil?

41. Shatner

shameitwasnthalowarslol

42. Shatner

poorfanboytrollhascantacceptthathis’facts’arebullshitlol

g1gaissuchatrollhethreatensviolencebyresponselol

43. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah OK troll.

Seems like a good beating is the only way you’ll ever learn.

44. Shatner

playingtoomuchcod4on360makesyouviolenttrysomelbplol

45. G1GAHURTZ

Being a stupid troll makes you lose the ability to write a proper sentence.

Don’t worry, I’m sure the ability to use some some basic grammar can be beaten into you.

46. Shatner

flowermightcalmyour360redringofragetoolol

47. DrDamn

@G1GA
    “Even its multiplayer has modes that you’ve probably played many times before, with the only twist being that game types are mixed up. – Although I fail to see what’s so appealing about not being able to stick to your favourite game type.”

You can stick to your favourite game type, more over you can set up a public server (hosted by Guerilla) with exactly the options you prefer.

I think the ranking / perk system in KZ2 owes a lot to CoD4 and is the first game to really see what CoD4 did well and reproduce it well with a few individual tweaks and improvements. A proper class system and basic gun unlocks on rank and perks unlocked based on specific performance.

48. lelik

the unlocks in killzone are way better than cod4.

49. G1GAHURTZ

Borrowdale Court looks like a nice place to visit.

I should go there soon.

50. Psychotext

What on earth is going on in here?

51. Gekidami

Probaly something ridiculous and shameful going off the people involed…

52. G1GAHURTZ

Phil started it.

53. Captain Fruitloop

@Gigahurtz

Hey, I find the Shat a pompous, supersilious prig just as much as you probably do, but you’re tipping into creepy stalker territory here.

54. Gamoc

Bloody hell, I’ll sort this out; CoD4 won a year and a half ago. Killzone 2 wins now.

Glad I could help.

55. Shatner

fanboylol
    trolllol
    stalkerlol
    violentlol
    greatexampleoftypical360ownerlol

56. G1GAHURTZ

Well, we all know that you own a 360 too phil. Silly troll.

Nice street there…

See ya soon.

57. Shatner

threatsontheinternetdowondersforyourcredibilitylol

58. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, Phil.

Your such a last word specialist, aren’t you?

Keep it up…

I know who you are, and I know where you live, so keep digging.

The more childish crap you come out with, the worse it’s going to get for you. All you’re doing is making me more determined to shut you up.

No wonder you have no friends! I see that you leave a trail of stupidity all over the internet, where ever you’ve been.

You seem to have a special ability to disgust people from website to website.

What a LOSER.

It’s a small world phil, you should be careful who you annoy.

59. Shatner

imveryscaredbythreatsontheinternetnoreallylol

60. G1GAHURTZ

I’m sure you’re not, since being as retarded as you are, you probably get them all the time.

61. Shatner

onlyfromviolentstalkerdeludedfanboytrollswtih360slol

gamesmakeyouviolentlol

62. Syrok

Oh, shut up you two.

63. No_PUDding

Shatner, have you starting talking like that too?

I mean it’s commendable, but we’ll need proof if you have.

64. No_PUDding

And just by the way Activision Mega_evil_corporation TM says their top selling game looks incredible.

If you ask me it SOUNDS not credible.

65. G1GAHURTZ

Pathetic trolls like you NEED violence, because your brains aren’t developed enough to figure out when it’s time to shut up.

That’s why you’re the most hated around here.

That’s why you can’t even speak like an ACTUAL ADULT and have resorted to writing like a total retard.

66. Shatner

CAPITALLETTERSdontmakeyouanymorecrediblelol

67. G1GAHURTZ

HAHA!!!!!

And you’ve got the NERVE to complain about MY grammar!

LOL!

Fool!

68. Shatner

comprehensionfaildonotpassgodonotcollect$200lol

69. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, this is good!

Phil writes: “I see imbalance, bias, immaturity and plain ignorance in large swathes of gamers and reporting and deliberately make efforts to correct this imbalance using the words, facts, experience and objectivity at my disposal.

Oh Phil! You’re such an INTERNET HERO!!!

LOL

What would the gaming world do without you!?!? LOL!!!!!!!!!

What an idiot!

I am passionate about my hobby and will never feel shame when I speak out against the actions of those that I see carelessly damaging the image of either the culture or industry that surround it.

LOL!!!!!!

No wonder you can’t even write properly!!!

With that BIG BALD HEAD shoved so far up your backside, it must be difficult to type!!

I have no interest in popular opinion

Or in other words… Phil is a LONELY LOSER, and doesn’t care who knows it!

and always make efforts to review topics from a number of perspectives rather than give a knee-jerk reaction.

Blah, blah, blah…

What a fool!

LOL!!!

70. Syrok

Stop it!

71. wz

Sorry to say it, but ACTUAL ADULTS ™ do not threaten other people in such a silly fashion. They usually ignore what comments some random person leaves on a random site.

Oh wait, they tend to have a real life as well.

72. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, well the nature of TROLLS is that they don’t let you ignore them, no matter how many months you obviously try to, and they keep coming back until you react.

They spend their whole ‘life’ TROLLING, so obviously being ignored doesn’t help them. They NEED something much more severe.

73. Gamoc

I don’t know, I think Call of Duty was mentioned once or twice.

74. Shatner

opinionsstillarentfactsevenwhenenforcedwithviolencelol

75. G1GAHURTZ

Phil, you’re such a LIAR!!

You wrote (in a retarded way): “onlyfromviolentstalkerdeludedfanboytrollswtih360slol

Then what do I see…?

This is you whining about your crappy writing getting trashed by people with BRAINS on another website:

However, to have my work republished without my authority, savaged by an audience incapable of understanding it on the level it was written, and then, when I come to Digital Share to speak out, be ridiculed and threatened by the members of this forum I turn extremely angry and very very bitter indeed.

LOL!!!

“RIDICULED and THREATENED”!!!

IDIOT!!!

Reminds me of your ‘Haze had great gameplay! It’s just that nobody understood it.’ nonsense.

You just keep coming out with them.

Maybe you should be on stage, because you make me laugh, you really do!

“Angry” and “bitter”!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

76. Shatner

stalkingviolenttrollsshouldn’tgivemetheirIPaddresslol

77. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Have it. You’ll have my complete description to give to the police soon enough!!

Well… if you ever wake up from your coma, that is…

78. Shatner

derrangedviolentfanboymeltdownsaresoprettytowatchlol

79. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I know!

Just seeing you SQUIRM in your stupid fanboy TROLLING rage is just HILLARIOUS!!!!

I see you’ve been Playing COD4.

How ironic.

Want to play me Phil?

I’d like to shoot you in the face.

80. Shatner

360andCoD4fanboyssuchpleasantandrationalfolklol

81. G1GAHURTZ

You just love praising yourself, don’t you?

You own a 360.

You play COD4.

You’re a fanboy troll.

But I disagree. You’re not pleasant at all.

Maybe that’s why you’re such a sad loner.

Come on Phil. Play me!

I’ve got a shower of bullets waiting for you.

82. Shatner

fanboytrollthinkseveryoneisfanboytrollohdearlol

83. G1GAHURTZ

Come on Phil. I don’t see why you don’t want to play me!

You hardly have any friends, so you can’t be busy.

I mean, only someone as sad as YOU could make a google calendar event titled “How To Lose Friends and Alienate People”

ROFL!!!!!!!!!

What a sad loner!!!!

CLASSIC!

84. G1GAHURTZ

How is Cath by the way?

85. Shatner

trolllogicfaillonelypeopledon’tknowotherpeoplelol

86. G1GAHURTZ

That was one of the worst comebacks I’ve ever seen.

LOL!!!

87. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollfailsatevasionlol

88. pleasant_cabbage

Such vigour lads! While your dedication is commendable, come on and play nice. Tis only the nets.
    /probably should’ve kept out of it

89. G1GAHURTZ

EVASION!? LOL!!

You’re the one who won’t even play me at a simple game of COD4!!!

Are you THAT scared of me that you can’t even bring yourself to play me!?

Come on Phil. I want you’re obviously desperate to get shot in the face, so let me put you out of your misery.

I’ll tell Cath all about it when I see her.

She’s a very nice lady.

90. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollcontinuestofailatcomprehensionlol

91. G1GAHURTZ

Why are you avoiding the offer Phil?

92. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollsoundslonelylol

93. G1GAHURTZ

LOL

Anyway, you’re reverting to classic Phil psychology.

‘Oooo, you don’t understand me. You’re in the wrong!’ LOL

‘Oooo, people don’t understand Haze’s gameplay. It’s the gamers who just don’t know what a good game is!’

‘Oooo, you don’t understand my brilliant writing! If you could, you would see how amazing it actually is!’

LOL!!!

94. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollisstillfailingatevasionlol

95. G1GAHURTZ

HAHA!!!!!!!

The sad loner troll wants me to join his club!!

Come on Phil. It’s just a game of COD4!

ahem, ‘thanks‘ I don’t actually want to be your friend or anything. LOL!!

96. G1GAHURTZ

You seem to be running out of ideas for stupid things to write Phil.

97. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollstillevadingstillfailinglol

98. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!!!

Point proven.

99. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollstillevadingstillfailinglol

violentstalkerfanboytrollcantseeholehe’sdughimselfintolol

100. G1GAHURTZ

ZZZzzz…

ZZZzzz…

101. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollfailsatindifferencelol

102. G1GAHURTZ

When are you going to write something that’s worth a response? I thought you were Teh INTERNET HERO!!!???

All this one line stuff is feeble.

You’re losing your struggle against…

Whatever you ridiculously think you’re fighting for! LOL!!

103. Blerk

Can you two just get a room and fuck or something?

104. Patrick Garratt

Or take it to the forum.

105. G1GAHURTZ

He’s scared of me. He won’t even accept my friend request.

106. G1GAHURTZ

See Phil. You’re even getting Pat upset now.

Sorry Pat, but I have to make a stand against his trolling or he’ll never stop!

107. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollfailsatnobilitylol

perhapsviolence,threatsandstalkingaren’tnoblelol

108. G1GAHURTZ

No, I’m civil to normal people. Not scum like you.

109. Shatner

violentstalkerfanboytrollfailsatappearingbalancedlol

110. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!!!!

You just CAN’T leave this comment section, can you!?

You just HAVE to get the last word!!!

What an immature fool.

I think you’ve clearly FAILED at your mission to ‘clean up teh interwebs’.

Go to the forum you stupid last word loving troll.

111. Shatner

continuedviolentstalkerfanboytrollmeltdownisprettylol

112. G1GAHURTZ

OK Phil. You win. You got the last word.

113. Shatner

fanboytrollthinksintermsofwinningandlosingwhoopslol

114. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, ok.

115. theevilaires

Wow you guys are hilarious! Giga getting violent,Shatner speaking like he has voice box issues,morris getting his ass handed to him (again) for saying stupid things (again) and being an obvious xbot! This is better than a caramel milkshake :P

Hey Giga what ever happened to you buying one of those controller mod things for the 360 pad so we can cage match in COD4 on PS3.

116. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I was on the verge of picking up a PS3 last week, but it’s going to have to wait until next month, probably.

So we should be playing in a couple of weeks.

117. theevilaires

Im going back to Cali next month. I usually don’t play games that much online in the summer, but yea we have to play. If you are the COD4 champ you claim to be then I can’t wait to dethrone you :P

You and shatner are great keep it up. I was laughing so hard at you guys comments my caramel milkshake shot out of my nose :P

118. G1GAHURTZ

lol.

Ok, well I’ll send you a friend request on PSN as soon as I get it.