Xbox UK boss: I don’t believe Sony’s PSN figures

Monday, 9th March 2009 12:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psnlogoa

Steve McGill, Microsoft’s head of entertainment, has told Videogamer that he simply doesn’t believe Sony when it said “the cumulative number of registered accounts on PlayStation Network has exceeded 20 million as of February 20, 2009,” in a recent press release.

“Sony do what Sony want to do and if they think that’s right for their business to say those kind of numbers then they can do and will do whatever they want to do,” he said.

“Do I believe them? No.”

Further, McGill said there were “a lot of questions” yet to be answered about Sony’s claim.

“When we talk about our numbers we feel they’re active users who are actively engaged in all the forms of entertainment we offer on Xbox 360. I think if you look at the comments made on the forums, or the comments made by analysts at Screen Digest then there’s questions over, well what does Sony’s numbers really mean? Are they duplicates? I think there’s a lot of questions there,” he said.

“All I’m really worried about is, I know I’m the largest online video on demand service in the UK, we are worldwide, we’ve got a great online service the others can’t come close to. They’re not right now. When you think of our heritage as a company Microsoft has proven we are probably the only company in the world that can offer great online experiences for millions and millions and millions of people. And that’s what we do every day with Xbox Live.”

More through there.

1. absolutezero

‘sup Mr Xbox guy, I bought The Lost and Damned on Saturday, it took all day to d-load. Instead of willy waving could you perhaps fix the bloated horrible to navigate NXE?

Alright! Thanks.

2. Cort

PS3 owners = over 20m
    PSP owners = over 45m
    *PS2 owners = over 100m

Now, even allowing for the fact that these are not all individual users (indeed, I have all three) I don’t see how it tests one’s credulity to accept SCE’s figures.

* Some PS2 owners have created PSN accounts.

PS Lots of people have got serious questions about MS’ 360 hardware data – in particular, how many are replacement units – but MS have spent years refusing even to consider such requests for clarification.

3. sennasnit

Sony UK boss: I don’t believe Microsoft sales figures

4. Captain Fruitloop

“I know the other guy’s lying about his figures, because we’re definitely lying about ours.”

5. Zarckan

Sounds like sour grapes to me…

I especially like this line…

“All I’m really worried about is, *I* know *I’m* the largest online video on demand service in the UK,”

Oh, so he runs it all does he?!

c0ck!

6. Gekidami

Steve McGill has those servers built in to his very flesh.

7. Shatner

Microsoftcallingsomeoneelsaliar?lol

8. sennasnit

pot, kettle, black.

9. Withnail

Steve McGill

10. GwynbleiddiuM

OoOOooOOoops… I thought only Microsoft figures lie!

11. OrphanageExplosion

Well I personally have five different PSN accounts, three of them active. I would imagine every enthusiast gamer at least has a UK and US account.