Capcom tells UK Resident Evil 5 reviewers to blank island section [Update]

Friday, 6th March 2009 21:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

residentevil5a12

VG247 has it on good authority that some British Resident Evil 5 reviewers have been specifically told to avoid writing about, taking video of, or image-grabbing the island section from the game’s third chapter.

We’ve been told that players encounter spear-wielding Africans in the specified section.

The instructions were given in the form of a covering letter sent with review code.

The game has been constantly accused of racism, a debate kicked off in earnest by Newsweek journo N’Gai Croal last April, who said it contained “classic racist imagery”.

Producer Jun Takeuchi has defended the project at every turn, even going as far as to say there are black members of the game’s Japanese development team.

IGN is going live with the first review – an agreed exclusive, we’re told – at 4.00pm PST today. The general review embargo lifts on Monday.

We’re unaware if American journalists have been put under the same restrictions.

We’ve contacted Capcom for comment.

Update: We’ve been given some of the wording from the letter this morning. Apparently, it says, “Please don’t mention any action/story/enemies from the Native Village,” and, “No screenshots of the Native Village”.

Also, UK reviewers have been told not to show screens of unlockable costumes.

1. Hunam

Well, the game is out in a week, I’m sure the Internet will have uploaded some pics of the island section all by it’s self.

2. Mike

Oops!

3. Gekidami

Black people: Not allowed to use spears.

4. Johnny Cullen

Wuh oh.

No need, the Japanese will do that for us as the game released yesterday in Japan.

5. Deanzor

Isn’t the bigger scandal that it’s clunky, shit and boring?

6. Mike

7. Hunam

Zing!

8. DaMan

Deanzor, you couldn’t be more right.

9. Hunam

Deanzor wins the internet.

10. Shatner

REhasalwaysbeenclunkyshitandboringlol

11. Johnny Cullen

Reviews up: 9.0

12. Prof Power Glove

I guess the racism angle will help give it a bit of publicity. Honestly though, I LIKE the idea of Capcom banning reviews from mentioning a part of it, it makes me curious and hell, none of us want any proper spoilers do we?!? Really? Well, I don’t. RE4 was certainly badass enough to warrant checking this one out – regardless of a weak demo and a different dev team behind it.

It might be a better then average racist baby-sitting simulator. ;)

13. hitnrun

What part of “Japanese” do these people not understand?

The worst you can accuse an outsider of is ignorance. Last time I checked, there were never a significant number of black slaves, their ancestors, or their descendants on the Japanese archipelago at any point. That makes the Japanese “outsiders” on matters of black racism.

If I went to Britain (I’m an American) and said something about, I dunno, the Scots or Welsh, would that make me an oppressive colonialist conjuring anti-gaelic stereotypes?

14. Johnny Cullen

I got something.

I tried to get Capcom and their UK PR manager Leo Tan and an adress for him to see if I could get lucky considering what I run isnt very very very big compared to here.

Failed.

But I got something else.

More shortly, posting it up now.

15. Hunam

hitnrun, say what you like about the Welsh and Scots, we can’t stand ‘em anyway.

16. Psychotext

‘s ok. It’s mutual. :D

17. Hunam

Stealing all our monies for your free educations and excellent health care! IT MAKES ME SICK.

18. Johnny Cullen

Okay, after a few hiccups, I now have for you the Chapter 3.1, the part of the game in question.

BTW, ignore the title.

I just wanna look big :P

19. evilashchris

I was okay with it until I came across the robertsons gollywog band.

20. Patrick Garratt

Done a story on the video.

21. Johnny Cullen

Ta Pat, really appricate that. :D

22. mightyhokie

You know, they are right! I have never ever seen a photograph of a real African with a spear or multicolored shield. I think that, even though it is set in Africa, that there should not be any blacks in it at all. That is racist! There are no bush people in Africa anymore. They are all white middle-class cube lemmings, just like me!

Lighten up, jackholes! It’s just a game. Are there not enough problems in the world without making crap up?

And Deanzar…best line of the week!