Croal quits Newsweek

Wednesday, 4th March 2009 13:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

levelup

N’Gai Croal is leaving Newsweek, according to this Gama report, after 13 years at the magazine and three years on the Level Up blog.

Croal is to pursue a career as a creative consultant to game developers.

There’s a brief interview through there.

1. Rhythm

Jumping before he gets pushed, eh? I wonder what all these games developed with direct input from ex-pressers will turn out like? I could imagine it being fairly embarrassing if you’d spent your entire working life critiquing games and then the game you help develop turns out to be shit

2. Blerk

Would the last person out of games journalism please turn off the lights?

3. Mike

What does he know about what makes a good game? Pfft!

4. Rock_Me_Amadeus

Haha, like that chap who used to work at Edge and recently made Rock Revolution :-(

5. Michael O'Connor

A consultant?

Great, now we’re have mass hysteria about any game that features black people and violence, more drama over non-existent racism, and another overbearing muppet with a crusade trying to influence company decisions.

I’ll be impressed if he lasts.

6. DaMan

=)))

7. Hunam

The one thing I know about Croal is that he is stuck up his own ass. Never rated the guy.

8. Blerk

Blimey, you’re a harsh lot aren’t you? :-D

I still remember my surprise at hearing him speak for the first time. I always imagined him to have a really deep voice, like Barry White. And then he opens his mouth and he sounds like he’s on helium. Superb!

9. Patrick Garratt

I saw him interview Miyamoto on stage at E3 once. Very good, he was.

10. ecu

Why does everyone dislike this guy? Is it just because all they’ve heard of him his RE5 comments? He’s an excellent journalist, his writing was consistently excellent and he’ll be missed.