Yakuza 3 sells more than 300,000 in first week

Tuesday, 3rd March 2009 07:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

yakuza3a

Yakuza 3 dev lead Toshihiro Nagoshi’s confirmed on this blog that PS3-exclusive Yakuza 3 has sold over 300,000 units in its first week.

Famitsu estimates are putting day one sales at 232,000, according to this Jeuxactu piece.

The Sega game will only be released in Japan.

1. Blerk

Hurrah! \o/

Yay for Yakuza! Yay!

2. Patrick Garratt

Bit of a shame they didn’t do an English language version. A “big” PS3 action exclusive in the US right now would do very well, I think.

3. Hero of Canton

I think the nature of the western market now and the prevalence of imports should lead most sensible Japanese publishers to at least include English subtitles in their games. I for one would be happy to play Yakuza 3 entirely in Japanese if just the menus and written dialogue were in English.

Hell, I’ll probably import it anyway when I have two pennies to rub together. But yeah, Sega’s really missed a trick with this. It never really got behind Yakuza from a marketing standpoint, and so it’s hardly surprising it didn’t sell too well in the west, particularly as the second came out when the PS2 was all but dead over here.

4. Rhythm

It’s a friggin’ crime that this won’t see the light of day here. It can’t have cost *that* much to subtitle number 2, surely?

5. No_PUDding

I would love for this to come to the West.

Althoguh I kind of enjoy learnign games in the dark. Makes their extras more surprising. I had oen guy by the collar, and one guy on the floor. When you press triangle, in HEAT mode, you generally chuck the guy onto the other guy.

Instead some loser rand at me, and I swung the guy I had in my possession at him, and cracked their heads togther.

CAn’t for the life of me do it again though…. Offtop, is GAF down?

6. Blerk

Moves like that are context-based, Pud. Which move you do depends on where you’re standing, what’s around you, how close other people are and what they’re doing, etc. If you can remember the setup and get the timing right, it should be possible to repeat it every time.

7. No_PUDding

Oh yeah, it is.

But It’s difficult to set the situation up.

I was holding a guy, had heat, and another guy ran at me. But it’s obviously a split second where you can execute it.

Becuase depending on where I am, who’s around or whether I have levelled I either smash their face on a wall, spin them roudn by their legs, smash them on the wall THEN knee their face against it again, or stamp on their face, or I chuck them on someone else.

It’s difficult getting them timing right to make them headbutt each other.

8. Michael O'Connor

Considering the relatively small size of the market in the east, they really are shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing this in the west.

9. No_PUDding

Agreed. But also considering the small size of the market in the East, it’s a fecking miracle this was made without the intention of bringing it West.

Atleast it looking that good.