Miscrosoft unsure about Netflix coming to UK

Tuesday, 3rd March 2009 18:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

netflixlogoa

Microsoft’s Neil Thompson is unsure whether British 360 owners will ever get the Netflix movie download service.

“Netflix is a great deal in the US, and we’re looking at what we might want to do here in the future,” said the Xbox UK bossman.

“But we think the content we’re offering is broad-ranging and pretty deep. We have to evolve the live service in different territories at different speeds, depending on what we’re able to achieve.”

Microsoft announced last week that 30 new Universal movies will soon be heading to the current UK service, and while this would bring the total amount of films up to 330, Americans currently have over 10,000 to choose from.

So when will the UK get the same benefits of a Netflix-style service? Thompson is unsure, because at this time they are concentrating on the current content being provided.

“I don’t know yet where we’re going to take the services we’ve got,” Thompson said. “We’re concentrating on delivering the services we’ve got and bolstering the content we’ve got.

“There will be evolutions of that service, absolutely, but I’m not going to give you any timelines or specifics.”

Full thing over on Eurogamer.

1. Retroid

Miscrosoft?

2. Len

This is just bollox for want of a better word.

When are they gonna sort it out (if ever)…?

And anyone know when PAL PSN is gonna get access to the bazillions of movies that the USA gets…?

It’s depressing, the missus and I would happily use it, meanwhile we’ve dl and watched one from Live so far.

B00… ;o(

3. Psychotext

Do we even have a company over here that does subscription based online movie streaming? I know lovefilm doesn’t… and they’re pretty much the biggest.

4. Blerk

Blockbuster were going to introduce it in the US, so I surmise that could have been rolled out to Europe as well. If it wasn’t for the fact that they appear to rapidly heading into bankruptcy, according to today’s news.

5. Rhythm

Lovefilm do a (shit) download service, PT

Last I heard the PAL PSN movie store was scheduled for “spring”, so I guess we should expect to hear something about it within the next couple of months. Remember that it was unveiled in a somewhat Apple manner in the States, where during the press conference announcing it, Sony said “and the service starts…. tonight”.

6. Len

Don’t think I’ve been in a Blockbuster or similar in years and years and as such don’t rent movies but give me the option digitally and I’m in.

What’s the problem, is it the rights holding it up and/or the PAL group of countries and so different licensing…?

They said PSN stuff was coming in a vague Summer release, is this still on…?

Who knows, I don’t…?

Can someone use the Patphone and find out pls…?

7. Len

Ooo…that was quick…lol!

Well fingers and legs crossed then… ;)