Rockstar: The Lost and Damned plot “exceeds what’s out there is all other mainstream media”

Monday, 23rd February 2009 08:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtaivtlada51

Rockstar dev head Jeronimo Barrera has said he believes The Lost and Damned script “exceeds” writing currently available in all forms of media.

“If you put The Lost and Damned up as a movie script, man, it’d be crazy,” he said, talking in the latest Major Nelson podcast.

“We want the gamers to realise that there’s a lot of super-talented people working on this stuff, and the quality and the calibre of their work, I think, exceeds what’s out there is all other mainstream media.”

Barrera went on to say that gaming as a medium should be reliant on plot and narrative.

“This medium needs to be driven be the quality of the content and the story,” he said. “Some stuff ends up being so generic these days. We want to have something that stands up to all mediums.”

He added: “Not to say there’s anything wrong with aliens and space marines and all that stuff, but for us it’s focussing on delivering quality, whether it’s the story, the animations, the art.”

The Lost and Damned, the first part of GTA IV’s two-part 360-exclusive DLC package, released last week.

1. Prof Power Glove

Perhaps it exceeds the writing on some very average tv shows. Still not comparable to movies yet though (unless you count Steven Seagal or Lundrun flicks :p).

Aliens and space marines – I’m sick of them too.

2. tont

Rockstar’s hubris never fails to amaze. Idiots.

3. Madlink

Yes, a bit up himself…

But he is right about one thing, the general standard of narrative heavy games needs to improve somewhat.

A lot of the writing in game scripts is at best mind-numbingly insipid and at worst completely laughable.

That said, a huge proportion of games don’t even need a proper story for you to enjoy them.

4. Patrick Garratt

I think Jaffe was right about narrative, to be honest. I’ve never been affected by a game’s plot or characters in the same way I have by, say, a favourite book.

I’m sure that’s because games are primarily about gameplay, though, whereas a book is about nothing other than narrative. I don’t think it’s a “fault” of games as a medium, as such.

5. Psychotext

I think a few of the old adventure games sucked me in as much as any book has… but as you rarely see that kind of game any more it’s pretty irrelevant now.

6. Madlink

I agree. It’s almost like two opposing forces; there’s gameplay, encouraging the player to get involved and have some fun, and at the same time narrative is there screaming, ‘Can you please pay attention, I’m trying to tell a story!’

Only a few games really successfully combine the two, Half Life 2 springing to mind.

And you’re right, it’s not a ‘fault’ of the medium. I mean, they are games after all.

7. Patrick Garratt

See, I’d much rather a game deliver a compelling gameplay mechanic first and foremost than attempt to rely on plot delivery. I always end up finishing games that are very repetitive, but it’s repeating something I enjoy. Titan Quest is a good example. Just endless clicking, but I like that. The “story” in it’s completely secondary.

Fallout 3, on the other hand – just couldn’t get on with it. And I’m sure it’s because the basic premise of the game is “explore”. I thought I was going to love it.

8. No_PUDding

I agree Pat, I’d much rather see game mechanics that are compelling, but Jaffe never said that games can’t have effective narrative.

He said that he thinks games can’t evoke emotion like movies, becuase there is too much physical distraction.

But I dislike use of narratvie anyway. Heavy Rain might be an exception, but David Cage can talk the hype, but I ahve no clue about his game. Should be a god rent.

Who knows.

9. Vincent

I thought the problem with GTA4 was that the gameplay wasn’t just disconnected from the narrative, it often felt like it ran counter to it.

Whereas with games like Fallout 3, the gameplay and narrative gel relatively well I feel. But like most open-world games it’s let down by the presentation of the narrative. Mannequin dolls facing each other, talking endless exposition in mostly dull monotone. No wonder there’s no emotional connect to something like that. If you’re going to use audio and visuals to present your game, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be done properly.

10. fearmonkey

Pat, I definately see where your coming from

The reason I love bethesda’s games is the whole exploration thing, but its not everyones cup of tea.
    Titan quest was an awesome game, but for some reason I never finished it, and I have its expansion too. Same with the original Sacred, never finished it, huge game, played it alot, but never completed it.

Did you ever Play the Deus-Ex series or the Thief Series? Kind of has a mix of exploration, Mechanics, and great story.