MadWorld in 480i, not 480p

Monday, 23rd February 2009 20:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

madworlda2

This sort of thing matters to a lot of people, so here we go. According to Matt Casamassina’s blog, Platinum’s MadWorld runs at 480i. Not 480p.

Buy it anyway. It looks awesome. As Matt says:

You must still buy this game, but this omission raises an interesting point. Usually, lack of 480p support can be credited to developer laziness. No way such a claim can be leveled at Platinum Games or MadWorld. This is a AAA developer which constantly pushes the artistic limits and MadWorld is the latest proof of that. I’m wondering, then, if the studio simply wasn’t aware that 480p is “kind of a big deal” for a chunk of Wii owners.

What’s the difference between an “i” and a “p,” anyway? It’s out next month.

1. deftangel

The ‘i’ is for interlaced, the ‘p’ for progressive. The former displays only half of the 480 lines on screens every 1/60th of a second. The latter displays them all meaning 480i feeds your eyes half the visual information every frame.

I did wonder why setting the Wii to 480p didn’t make much difference :) 480anything is a bit of a mis-nomer though, the game’s in a weird resolution.

Doesn’t affect it at all mind. I doubt Platinum Games are unaware of the desire of 480p support, they probably just viewed the visual style and other stuff they were doing as more important.

2. Hunam

The i and the p do make a big difference, specially to those of us on HDTV’s :(

3. airdom

an HDTV does not deserve to have a Wii plugged into it dude, it just looks bland anyways! it’s not even meant for that anyways!

get a cheap CRT TV and plug it in there lol.

4. Hunam

It is plugged into a CRT TV when I’ve got it, but my brother only has space (as in, horizontal, loads of vertical space) for LCD and so he has a HDTV, mario kart wii looks great in 480p on his 32″ 720p tv, but when we had the composites in before it was all blocky ass to look at in 480i.

5. airdom

Heh, Hooray for HD consoles ;)

6. TJ

I’m amazed anyone cares about something PCs have had for years.

7. MasterChiefFenix

Pretty cool the game i’m most intersted in for the Wii supports it. I wouldn’t have expected support for either! nice surprise imo.

8. Hunam

MasterChiefFenix: The game DOESN’T support 480p, so HDTV am cry an all that.

9. ecu

Meh, I don’t care. I play my Wii on an STD TV anyway.

10. Cort

Your TV has a sexually transmitted disease?

11. ecu

Yup.

Well to be honest, I think it was the Wii that gave it to my TV. I haven’t told it yet though as they’re still getting on quite well and I don’t want to cause any problems.

12. Blerk

It does do widescreen, though. Right?

13. Patrick Garratt

It is widescreen, yeah.

14. justmarbz

the devs should know better. nintendo needs to make 480p and widescreen a requirement for every game on the wii.

at least the art style of the game is so unique most will barely notice the lack of progressive scan. i cannot wait for this game.

anyone who owns a nintendo wii needs to support this game. if you don’t buy it you have no right to complain about the lack of hardcore titles.