Lewis: Second-hand games are part of the ecosystem

Monday, 23rd February 2009 14:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

usedgamesa

Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis has told GI that second-hand games are just something the industry has to live with.

“I’m a fan of the ecosystem overall,” he said.

“I can see the positive in it, because I can see that what you then get is more and more people touching, playing, experiencing a game that they may not otherwise have access to.

“I think you’ve got to try and extract some positive from it, and that’s undoubtedly a good factor – a positive swirl of ecosystem that results.

“Clearly it’s a reality, and certain retailers are very focused and spend a lot of time on it. It’s good business for them.”

The exec’s comments come after Gamestop boss J Paul Raines said at DICE last week that used game sales don’t harm full-price products.

1. Johnny Cullen

That picture looks like XtraVision (any Irish ones would know what I mean)

2. Tiger Walts

Since the bulk of money consumers gets from selling games to a retailer usually goes towards the purchase of brand new titles I agree that new games do not suffer from a preowned market. The majority of sales occur in the first few weeks of launch where there are none to few pre-owned copies in the system.

The problem with pre-owned is that it is now, for many retailers, an integral part of that system. There are growing trends of digital delivery, DLC and digital rights management restricting products from entering the preowned market. See Half Life 2, Burnout Paradise and Spore respectively. The heavy discounting and rapid trade-in cycle may no longer be viable.

It’s currently great for the consumer and it’s working out for the publishers but I don’t think it has a place in the future.

3. sennasnit

The whole “used” game scene is hilarious, my local Game sells used games at about 5 to 10 quid less than the new product, which is more expensive than buying a new copy online, i would never buy a used game for that reason, i can get a nice sealed version for less than the used one. A used copy of PS3 Dead Space was £27.99, a new copy was £15 at Sainsbury’s. It’s a joke…

4. Syrok

I only buy second hand games or import them from the UK depending on what is cheaper. I would buy them here if they weren’t so overpriced. Motorstorm 2 to name an extreme example costs €70 here (Netherlands) if I buy it over ie. Amazon UK I only pay €30 for a new copy.

5. Johnny Cullen

Thats Game these days.

Mind you, the trade in prices are better then that in Gamestop.

6. No_PUDding

Clearly a ‘first party’ view.

Third Party publishers can see no appeal in a product not financially, but personally unrelated to them, being resold without them gaining from it.