FEAR 2 takes second in US PC chart

Monday, 23rd February 2009 22:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fear2

FEAR 2 made a solid debut in the US PC charts for the week ending February 8, holding off both the Sims and Spore.

Nothing beats WoW, though. Previous week here. Thanks, Shack.

1. World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King / Blizzard / $37
  2. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin / Monolith / $49
  3. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $19
  4. Spore / EA Maxis / $42
  5. World Of Warcraft Battle Chest / Blizzard / $35
  6. The Sims 2 Deluxe / EA Maxis / $3
  7. World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $17
  8. Call Of Duty: World At War / Treyarch / $43
  9. Fallout 3 / Bethesda / $45
  10. The Sims 2 Apartment Life Exp. Pack / EA Maxis / $19

1. loki

It’s show what classic games sucks on PC. Wow and sims rule the situation.

2. DaMan

gawd I still can’t believe WoW is that popular.

3. loki

wow popularest from most unpolarest (PC games)

4. Wiz

I can’t believe Spore is that popular…

The demo of FEAR 2 was a success, and the game feels so polished that it’s no wonder that it sells so well. Even I got a copy of it.

5. Cort

Fear 2 caught me completely by surprise. I never heard of the first game and the sequel wasn’t on my radar at all; I only downloaded the demo from the PSN because it was free. It sat untried on my HDD until yesterday when I gave it a go. And I fucking loved it. I never thought a video game could be scary and that atmospheric. Bought it online five minutes after I finished the demo.

For me, this is an excellent example of how a good demo can sell a game – especially to someone new to the IP.

Looking at the reviews now, I see lots of complaints that it is not as revolutionary as its predecessor, is not as big a step in graphics as the first game, and offers little new in terms of gameplay. My response is this: why does *everything* have to be new or revolutionary? Is it not enough that a game does what it does well, and entertains? And it has a Metacritic score of 82 which is good enough for me.