Xbox Live accounts wiped by Hotmail snafu

Wednesday, 18th February 2009 22:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xboxlivelogoa1

Oh dear. GI’s reporting that some Xbox Live users who let their Microsoft Passport Hotmail accounts expire are at risk of getting their Gamer Scores wiped. For good.

“The only alternative is to set up a new Gamertag with your preferred email address,” said a rep today.

Yep, that’s right. Anyone hit by the fault will lose all Achievements and score completely, even if they’ve been working at it for the past four years.

Microsoft’s investigating the problem, apparently. You’d bloody hope so.

1. Gekidami

FAIl Status: EPIC.

2. Shatner

achievementlockedlol

3. Blerk

Microsoft are fucking useless at sorting stuff like this out. They really need a proper kick up the arse about it.

When I got my 360 I signed up for a Live account with my regular Gmail address. And because my account is with the US branch of Google, they just surmised I wanted a US account. Without asking. So then I tried to change it to a UK account and… you can’t!

So I had to MAKE a Hotmail UK email address to register with so that I could ensure that I actually got a proper UK account. And then because I created the account on the computer instead of the 360, they wouldn’t let me have a free 30 days of Gold.

It was a fucking shambles. Their tech support email took three days to respond to my “can you change the region on your account” query and then told me to “check the Microsoft Knowledge Base”. Which I’d already done, three days previously.

4. Psychotext

Clueless bunch of fuckers aren’t they.

5. Mike

Things break.

;)

6. Blerk

I truly don’t understand why it’s so hard for them to just amend a couple of details on an account.

7. Psychotext

I’d wager it’s because they’re up to their ears in dumb as fuck policies stopping them doing anything more complex than wiping their own arses.