Rare restuctures, lay-offs possible

Tuesday, 17th February 2009 10:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rarelogo

Rare’s “restructuring” its studio, and potentially shedding staff.

“As the entire industry struggles to address the increasing scale and cost of development, we too have felt a need to restructure our current approach so we can speed development and better manage the scale required to create high quality games,” said Mark Betteridge, studio manager.

“With four projects recently underway, now is the right time to make this change. Throughout its history, Rare has demonstrated a willingness to embrace new approaches and commitment to delivering game-changing experiences to our customers.

“This announcement is no different and builds on that tradition as we work with MGS to make interactive entertainment as culturally relevant in people’s lives as books, movies and television are today.”

More on GI. We’re chasing this now.

1. Psychotext

As much as I love their output… they’ve needed an restructuring for a while now. Hopefully it’ll be for the better.

2. No_PUDding

Rare is so pivotal to MS, they will be absolutely fine. The titles they make, mgiht not be profitable, but they are important in expanding the userbase.

It’s nice they have lasted this long.

3. Patrick Garratt

Just done another piece.

4. Blerk

As much as I don’t care for their output… I don’t like to see anyone losing their job. Hopefully the restructuring will affect their projects more than their staff.

5. No_PUDding

Prezactly.

Ideally it would affect both minimally.

6. Blerk

Actually, I’d quite like it to affect their projects. They’re obviously a talented bunch, but most of their output leaves me cold.

7. No_PUDding

Well their projects last year weren’t all games, so it always chnages.

8. Robo_1

I agree with No_PUDding, Rare are pretty crucial to MS’s console business. They may not generate the huge sales of Epic or Bungie, but they are vital in providing 360 with more family friendly output.

My girlfriend loves the Viva Piniata games, and that with Fable 2, is the only reason we stuck with 360 after the RROD visited my first console.

9. fearmonkey

How about a restructured new version of Killer instinct, and a serious FPS, or RPG game.