Tories thrash Brit Government for failing games trade

Thursday, 12th February 2009 02:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bigbena

The British Conservative Party’s issued a withering attack on Gordon Brown’s cabinet for failing the UK games industry after the WTO failed to uphold claims of unfair business practices by the Canadian Government.

“The Government’s strategy for videogames has been shown to be nothing more than a sham,” said Ed Vaizey MP, shadow videogames spokesman. “For months, whenever we have pressed the Government for action, they have used the excuse that the issue had been referred to the WTO. Now they no longer have this excuse.

“As the games industry itself says, the Government now ‘stands naked, bereft of a credible fiscal policy with which to support the sector,’” he added.

Canadian tax breaks are at the root of all the bother, incentives, the UK games trade says, that are causing a decline in the British industry.

“The Government must act now to support an industry that is world-beating, job-creating and at the heart of our creative industries,” continued Vaizey.

“After nine reviews of the creative industries, and eight more in the pipeline, the Government’s dithering has now been exposed as causing real damage.”

1. Blerk

Shadow videogames spokesman? :-D

2. Suikoden Fan

We have a spokesman? and a shadow one as well? At least the Tories are talking some sense towards games here.

3. mightyhokie

I’ll start off by saying that I am American and a conservative. That being said, I have a question that someone may be able to answer for me.

Why is the government involved at all? Does the government really solve problems? From my experience (admittedly it is all over here in the States) whatever the government touches usually becomes shit.

Just curious. I ask this because I am an avid devoted gamer and don’t want to see our games become watered down crap because a government decides ‘we saved you so now we can tell you what to do…no cursing, no sexual content, no violence, no fun’…which will happen. It sucks. I hate people losing their jobs but eventually the economy will pick up again without interference from any government.

Please guys, I really don’t want to get into a political debate. I won’t change you and you won’t change me. I am just curious about this.

4. mightyhokie

I’m sorry, I’m just not really that familiar with how your government works. I understand parliament and prime minister and all that, but that is obviously a basic understanding. I just find it fascinating, that’s all. =>

5. SticKboy

“I’m sorry, I’m just not really that familiar with how your government works.”

^This^

6. Psychotext

That latest comments bug is interesting… it looks like it’s picked up on the opening bold tag of the “I’m sorry…” comment but can’t close it because the bold section is too long.

I think what I just typed should have closed it though.

7. Psychotext

/has forgotten that it works in chronological order so that won’t do anything!

/facepalm

8. mightyhokie

wow! i’m sorry. i don’t see it as bold on firefox. i didn’t bold anything. i just typed it in.

9. Psychotext

SticKboy bolded it, not you. He’s to blame. :)