Crackdown dev: “We see the life of games online”

Tuesday, 10th February 2009 08:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crackdowna1

Ruffian’s Billy Thomson has reiterated to Edge that the newly-formed Dundee developer’s focus is online gaming, despite the fact single-play will play an important part in its projects.

“It’s not like we’re going to avoid making singleplayer games,‭ ‬we still see a massive market in them,” he said.

“‬But,‭ ‬moving forward,‭ ‬many games are pushing things like co-operative play.‭ ‬If you look at the consoles that are out there now,‭ ‬everybody’s encouraging everyone to stay online,‭ ‬particularly through your friends list on the‭ ‬360,‭ ‬and now with the PS3‭’‬s Home.‭

“We definitely want to keep making solo games‭ – ‬we want to make great solo games‭ – ‬but we see the life of games online.‭ ‬Because when you finish your solo experience,‭ ‬if you want to get anything else out of the‭ ‬£45‭ ‬or‭ ‬$60‭ ‬you’ve spent,‭ ‬it’s going to be through online play.”

This piece was supposed to be published two weeks ago, as we alluded to in this article. Billy and the boys are working on a new Crackdown game, although it’s yet to be announced.

1. No_PUDding

I agree with him totally.

And I’ll be disappointed for exmaple, if Uncharted 2 DOESN’T have co-op.

I think it should become a standard that someone can join in. Games are completely social like that, and they are pointless if you can’t join in.

2. Blerk

I think ‘pointless’ is a bit harsh. Not every game lends itself to multi-player, even co-op.

3. Mike

Mass Effect would have been rubbish with co-op.

4. No_PUDding

Yeah, pointless was completely the wrong word to use.

But I think if it can be implemented appropriately, it instantly heightens the fun.

Pointless is more in context of games in the future, as this dude is talking about.

5. Johnny Cullen

About to post this on N4G if you wanna go approve, Pat.

Anyways, I agree with PUD, Uncharted 2 now, from what we have heard and seen, is being made for co-op, no question so it would be a big shame and a big missed opprutunity on it.

6. Johnny Cullen

Actually, scratch that N4G bit ¬_¬

7. Abstract Poster

>Billy and the boys are working on a new Crackdown game, although it’s yet to be announced.

Is there anything solid on this yet? VG247 is in danger the becoming the new Spong, loads of rumours that seem completely baseless.

8. Patrick Garratt

AP – I’m promised it’s true. I can’t say why I believe it, obviously, but time will tell.

9. No_PUDding

Any news on Team ICO Pat, with your insider goggles? After you crushed my dreams prematurely at TGS last year.

I kid…. About the goggles and news… My dreasm were crushed though.

10. Patrick Garratt

:D

I’ve heard nothing else at all about ICO stuff, tbh.

11. No_PUDding

I was joking about news. I would have been more shocked had you known something I didn’t (like TGS). I have contacts…..

*turns up mac coat collar and tips trilby hat*