DICE dev: Battlefield 1943 will be “download-only”

Monday, 9th February 2009 09:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

battlefield1942a1

Writing on his blog, DICE designer Gustav Halling has seemingly confirmed Battlefield 1943 as a discless product.

“It’s a download-only game on X360, PS3 & PC,” he said in response to a question as to whether or not the title is a browser affair in the same vein as Battlefield Heroes.

His comments appear to clarify part of the game’s announcement press release last week.

“To get ready for the assault this winter, players can prepare for action in Battlefield 1943, an all-new multiplayer game available this summer via PlayStation Store, Xbox LIVE Marketplace and on the PC,” said the PR.

Just going to check this for definite with EA now. Discs are so last century, anyway.

1. David Sarkisjan

I don’t get it. It was clearly said that it is download only.

2. Patrick Garratt

No one picked up on it, from what I saw. I thought it was worth picking out.

3. trav

I didn’t notice that. Thought it was a full retail release, which to be honest I’m surprised there are not doing.

4. Whizzo

It’s only three maps (at least initially), if they’d sold that on disc there’d have been uproar that it’s a rip off.

I’m not happy about the unlimited ammo or regenerating health though so unless the demo is spectacularly I think I’ll pass.

5. Bagpuss-RoXx

Well, if its gonna be done through EA downloader they can fuck off.

I bought 3 expansion packs for BF2 through that in 2006, and last year came to re download them to play again and it wouldnt let me as all accounts that havent been used in a certain time frame, have their details wiped!!!.

Customer service was a bag of shite, said i couldnt have new log in details unless i provided them with the original Credit Card details and download receipt number, which i no longer had either of.

So if i want to play something i already own, id have to buy them again.

Tossers.

6. JesteR

Sure download….. from torrent.