Todd Howard: “Wii is a kids’ toy, PS3 and Xbox 360 are for evil killfests”

Saturday, 7th February 2009 17:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

toddhoward2

After announcing that Bethesda was working an iPhone game at Comic Con yesterday, Todd Howard spoke his mind on Nintendo’s Wii, saying that he was “not threatened” by the console because “it’s a toy.”

MTV’s Stephen Totilo brought the subject up, and Howard said that from a consumer’s point of view “the Wii is a kids’ toy,” and the public thinks that “the PS3 and Xbox 360 are for evil killfests”.

NewsWeek’s N’Gai Croal responded to Todd’s remarks by mentioning the sales advantage Wii has, to which the Bethesda boss retorted that “the Wii is not a threat” because it caters to games that are vastly different to those his team develops.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. Johnny Cullen

He’s right tbh.

I havent touched my Wii in ages.

If there isnt any good games out for the ‘core this year, its going at the start of next year.

No joke.

2. JesteR

This guy is annoying. He needs to shut up.

3. No_PUDding

Okay, look at the goddamn background. That is artwork done by Michael Kirkbride himself, Morrowind <3.

Fuck you Todd. Look at those designs… Can you not see what a generic piece of shit designign company you have become? Do you not see why Oblivion was WRONG?

4. Mafro

This is the same attitude that Sony/Microsoft had towards the Wii and look what happened…

5. No_PUDding

Shut up.. People conveniently forget that the PS2 introduced casual to the market in the first place.

The Wii just captialised on it.

6. fearmonkey

Oblivion is one of my favorite games EVER. and from the sales of the game, reviews of the game, and all the people I know that love it, no puddings opinion seems to be in the minority.
    I loved every elder scrolls game, ive played them all! Morrowind was bigger than oblivion, but oblivion was so engaging.
    Plus he is right on the Wii, i only know one person that really plays theirs.
    I loved Fallout 3 as well, a great game!!

7. No_PUDding

My opinion on the game is based of fact.

The game [Oblivion] went against the lore of TES, Bethesda like money, they use more middleware than any other developers on PS3/360/PC and they outsource most of their creative work.

SOOooooo…. They are shit.

8. Talal _ 911

Wii is Not a Kids Game !!

9. Vincent

As if Arena and Daggerfall didn’t use the most generic and derivative fantasy settings (not to mention art direction) you could think of. They weren’t really any worse for it anyway.

And I couldn’t even begin to understand what the problem is with using lots of middleware (who doesn’t these days).

10. Michael O'Connor

“My opinion… is… fact.”

LOL. I doubt I’m the only one who sees the irony in that remark

“And you liking Oblivion is just a reflection on your ignorance of art direction, and game design.”

Bitter much?

11. reask

my daughter has the wii and never plays it.
    In fact one of the controllers is broke now the batteries leaked. needles to say I took the batteries out of them both.

12. DaMan

“Bethesda like money, they use more middleware than any other developers on PS3/360/PC and they outsource most of their creative work.

SOOooooo…. They are shit. ”

this is ridiculous really..

13. fearmonkey

wow no pudding, your opinion is supposedly based on fact, yet only a few really agree with you, compared to mass love the game has recieved. I guess your so impressive that your beyond all the other game reviewers that gave the game high scores. It must be nice being sooo uber.
    Oblivions DLC is still selling like hotcakes, people still play that game constantly.

Enjoy your bitterness, ill enjoy playing those great games.