Capcom: There are no “run and gun” controls in RE5

Monday, 2nd February 2009 23:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

residentevil5a9

Following yet another resurgence of talk of “run and gun” controls being included in the final version of Resident Evil 5, Capcom’s moved to assure everyone… there aren’t.

From Unity:

Back in early December, a member of Capcom’s crack team (who actually knows better, oops!) misspoke when asked about the new controls, saying the “action” controls (as they were known at TGS, but not in the final game) would allow players to move and shoot at the same time.

To correct this whoopsie: THE NEW CONTROL OPTIONS IN RESIDENT EVIL 5 DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO MOVE AND SHOOT SIMULTANEOUSLY. While RE5 is very action-heavy, the base RE game design mechanic of holding fast while shooting remains. This mechanic will be immediately familiar to any of the 36+ million people who have played previous Resident Evil games, but may require some mental readjustments by players who are new to the series.

Got it? You stand still and shoot. Understand?

Game’s out next month.

1. DUFFKING

It’s OK, the enemies just walk up to you then stand still staring at you angrily. Sometimes they even hit you!

/faints from terror

;)

2. Hunam

Dead Space > Resident Evil 5 Demo

3. Whizzo

Just as well I never had to comply to Capcom’s bizarre rules in my paintballing days, I’d have been forever walking back to the safe area with my gun in the air.

4. Gamoc

Oh well, looks like I’ll be waiting until this gets cheap, then.

5. ecu

Yay, great news. :D

6. scuz

ummm not good news.

7. absolutezero

I have a shocking confession to make here.

I thought Dead Space was lacking soul. I could see everything working in the background all the time, it got a little boring, its not even tense really.

I have’nt even finished it.

8. XDamage

I must say I rather liked not being able to move when aiming. It’s so much more intense when those bastards are coming at you. You have to really aim well, one shot in their head, then run at them at beat the shit out of them. :D I think I’ll pick this one up.

9. absolutezero

Wow someone else who knows what makes an RE game what it is! Amazing!

Now we just have to work togethor to make everyone else realise that just because it does not control like everything else on the market right now does not make it outdated.

10. ecu

Yeah, the gameplay is finely crafted around stopping to shoot, so contrary to people’s beliefs, you’re not at a disadvantage by not being able to run and gun.

11. Alakratt

All hail Dead Space as the new kingof survival horror. I that’s right, RE 5 isn’t survival horror anymore, just action horror, great…another action game, like we don’t have enough of those…

Anyway, the demo just confirmed to me what I already knew, RE 5 is RE 4 with better graphics, a black protagonist and online coop, THAT’S IT! Oh yeah, it’s set in Africa, but it could be set in Hawaii and it wouldn’t make a difference! So um, Capcom, start listening to your fans and stop listening to your investors!

12. Retroid

Capcom came to my house and broke three fingers on each of my hands, it makes playing their demo so tense!

Then I tied my shoelaces together when I went shopping to make it even more fun :P

13. Gamoc

I don’t want ‘run and gun’ I want to be able to move forward or backward whilst I’m shooting, ffs.

I’ll just copy and paste what I just posted on a forum:
    ‘Sorry, but there’s no realism in not being able to move forward or backward whilst I’m aiming. As a result, it makes a major dent in the game for me. I don’t mind things to make the sense of risk and danger present, but if it’s something so stupidly unrealistic it seems to wreck it for me.’

14. Blerk

I’m not even bothered about being able to move while shooting. I just want Chris to move more like a person and less like a fully-laden refrigerator.

15. sickpuppysoftware

If I wanted to know what it was like to control a tank that had soiled itself I’d buy Ploppy Panzers 2.

16. tenthousandgothsonacid

“Ploppy Panzers 2″

2 !?! What were the improvements over the original ?

17. sickpuppysoftware

real-time skidmarks

18. locus2k1

lol @ real-time skidmarks :D

still getting it myself, ok it hasn’t “evolved” as much as people wanted but i like the version D controls: easier to control then 4 (GC version, dont get me wrong, still loved the game) while keeping the limits that cause you to think if you have the time to take that risky shot. Wii RE4 for the win though! :)

My problem is which console to buy it on, after playing both version I cant really decide! guess it will come down to achievements or trophies, the mandatory 5GB installation doesn’t faze me as I would just end up fully installing on the 360.

19. Dimacorgan

Wanna try it with the controls’ D config, ’cause as for now it’s been quite a disappointment…

20. airdom

i never really was a fan of the RE franchise, and after trying the demo of RE5, i’m even less of a fan. sure the graphics are nice…but STOP…AIM…SHOOT, i dunno what makes RE so special. i just don’t see it! sorry to all you RE lovers

21. Dimacorgan

Ok, right, I guess that with the fastest aiming option things get a little better (I already tried the D config, which is the default setting), at least it doesn’t take hours to aim! Still kinda odd struggling with the controls instead of enemies…

22. kesy76

“This mechanic will be immediately familiar to any of the 36+ million people who have played previous Resident Evil games.”

Definition of Progress:
    “A moving or going forward; a proceeding onward; an advance”

How is this progress? Whats wrong with the option of moving & standing. If u want to stand fine, if u want to move & shoot great. I am not among the 36+ million people mentioned. Maybe if they put that option in they can get 36 mill more.

23. Gekidami

I’m surprised so many people are bothered by this really, i mean didnt you ever play RE4? From the controls down to (what looks like) a good number of the enemies animations its all taken straight from it for RE5, why was everyone expecting anything quicker? Dont get me wrong, i think RE5 has alot of flaws (going of the demos and what i’ve seen) but this isnt one of them.

24. Tonka

I played the demo a bit today and I loved it to bits. I’m tempted to borrow the company 360 to be able to play it.

I slid into the controls like my pajama. Well actually I sleep naked so it was more of a slipping out and lubing up affair.