Reeves: “I know I’m not going to have to ring up the customer careline saying I’ve got three red lights”

Friday, 30th January 2009 15:27 GMT By Mike

reeves21b.jpg

When asked what the average [read: not 'hardcore', doesn't care about Blu ray] consumer would choose if he/she went into a shop and saw the expensive PlayStation 3 compared with the cheaper 360, SCEE president David Reeves expects them to go for “the green machine” – though only because they haven’t done their research.

“The price will affect their decision,” he told EG. “Yes, if I haven’t got that much money to spend, I will go for, let’s say, the green machine. Because the salesman will say, ‘Well, it’s got all the games,’ and he wants to sell that machine.

“But there are people who come in having done their research, thinking, ‘PS3 has got all the games, it’s free to go online, it’s got a Blu-ray player.

“I know I’m not going to have to ring up the customer careline saying ‘I’ve got three red lights.’”

“We recognised that those numbers would go down because we did not drop the price,” added Reeves. “But we reached the targets we expected to reach under those assumptions.”

By Mike Bowden

1. Hunam

No, but I rang them up with a disc read error! (for my PS3)

2. Quiiick

I had to ring up the customer careline saying “I’ve got three red lights” twice!

3. theevilaires

ok im not going to dwell on this topic hunam/psycho___/stickboy(morris) whoever you are but when i got my original xbox some new games wouldn’t even read on the xbox and they were brand new

4. wz

Maybe the xbox wasnt.

5. theevilaires

i bought it new and loved it.xbox was great, kotor,riddick,halo,shenmue,and lets not forget custom soundtracks and xbox live.Man i have to get me a 360 soon :P

6. SilentLoner

I think he is being slightly modest in this thread, I am getting myself a 360 for Fable 2 though Mr Reeves cant phone up CS for that can I :P

7. theevilaires

my only gripe against the original xbox was the launch controller(WTH were they thinking?)it weighed a ton,it didn’t have DVD playback out of the box and i couldn’t fast forward my music on it. Other than that it was great.

8. Whizzo

The PS2′s DVD playback was ace, it made all my DVDs look like they were in the Matrix by turning them green.

9. patlike

evil – stickboy isn’t morriss.

10. SticKboy

Thanks for clearing that up, big man.

11. fearmonkey

I can’t comment on the quality of the PS3, but I can comment that I went through multiple PS2′s last gen.
    One year after purchase, my DVD drive would not play movies, and barely play games. It turned out that the disk drive had issues, and sony refused to accept responsibility.
    Many people had the same issues.
    Though the RROD is very annoying, at least MS owned up and admitted the issue. The fixed mine for free even though it was over a year old. Sony made me pay for the repair, and never owned up to the issue.