Rumour: Crackdown 1.5 out “early 2010″, Ruffian IS working on it despite Realtime Worlds statement

Thursday, 29th January 2009 14:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crackdowna.jpg

It’s not going away, and it sounds as though you’re about to hear an awful lot more about it. Newly formed Scottish developer Ruffian is most certainly working on a new Crackdown game, says “rumour” today, and apparently it’s scheduled for the end of 2009 or early 2010.

The project’s being called “Crackdown 1.5″ in the UK trade, and it’s set in the same city as the original Realtime Worlds 360 classic. Multiplayer’s going to play a massive part in the game, aparently, moreso than the new single-player stuff.

Just a hunch: you might hear more about this… tomorrow. Life on the edge, and all that.

Realtime Worlds put out a statement at the end of December saying the firm was in ongoing negotiations with Microsoft about continuing the franchise as a reaction to rumour that Ruffian had picked up a second game.

Ruffian – the Dundee-based developer comprised largely of ex-Crackdown staffers – was confirmed as open in late January.

1. Blerk

Interesting… although I would’ve thought most people were hoping for a full-blown sequel.

2. patlike

There’s going to be a story on “another website” tomorrow. I’m not sure if they’re going to name the game, though.

3. Blerk

There are other websites? :-D

4. JonFE

This is getting ridiculous – Announce it already.

Got to agree with Blerk though. If it turns out to be Crackdown 1.5, it might be a bit disappointing…

5. patlike

Blerk – :P

6. Robo_1

“Multiplayer’s going to play a massive part in the game, aparently, moreso than the new single-player stuff.”

Boo. Well that’s poured cold water over my enthusiasm for the title, seeing as I’ve no intention of getting connected to Live.

7. Alakratt

Crackdown 1.5? Woa, that’s encouraging.

8. Psychotext

I didn’t really enjoy the first one (I don’t like sandbox games) but it was clear that it was an excellent game.

Should be good to see what they can do with the next instalment.

9. contender

so, who exactly confirmed it…..? Not from Ruffian, and no other source named, so who?!

10. No_PUDding

Psychotext…

That’s like the exact opposite of everyone else and the truth.

It was a fun game people liked that was fundamentally underwhelming, outside of concept.

I am guessing this is more DLC, from a tiny team right? Ala ODST. Sucks for people who haven’t got LIVE.

11. Psychotext

I’m not sure I follow. For those who like sandbox games it’s considered one of the best in the genre.

I just don’t like sandbox games.

12. No_PUDding

Not at all.

It’s fundamentally flawed as are most sand box games. No variation.

But the art direction and super cop (with tranforming awesome car) more than make up (in my eyes) for a bit of aimlessness.

Even GTAIV couldn’t pull it off as well as it had in the past.

13. Psychotext

Surely that’s got more to do with your dislike of sandbox games than any relative merit the game has though. If you think most games in the genre are fundamentally flawed then you’re doing to have difficulty giving any sandbox title credit.

As for GTAIV… it was barely sandbox at all.

14. No_PUDding

I don’t dislike sandbox games at all.

The point is GTAIV had more variation than Crackdown, and IV was stripped quite bare in the face of it’s predecessors.

Crackdown had orbs, and basic missions. The orbs COULD have changed up gameplay, but ultimately they were augmentations as opposed to anything new.

But the point is, you are a supercop, who is a badass. And when you have a concept like that strong enough to make most of the players gloss over it’s flaws [common in sandbox games], I think that’s a massive win.

15. fearmonkey

I hope this isnt true. While I want a new Crackdown, a rehash of the first game isnt what we all want.
    Also, I would hate to see MS kill their relationship with Realtime worlds for a “1.5″ version of the original.

16. ecu

Crackdown 1.5? :/ The original was only half a game as it was..

17. Gekidami

Hum, hope they improve it, the first one was as boring as a sandbox game could be.

18. No_PUDding

Supercop badass. You guys are all fanboys.

19. SticKboy

Your mum’s a fanboy :P

20. No_PUDding

She is indeed.

21. TomBakersScarf

So, will this just be DLC? Are Microsoft going to ripe everyone off and charge full price for a game that’s already 2 years old?

It would be ace if it’s a sequel but if it’s just a few extra missions and power ups it had better not be full price. let’s face it though thats probably all that’s achievable in 12 months.

22. contender

I can’t see MS manhandle something as precious as the Crackdown franchise, it would stand to cost them zillions! I’m fairly confident that the top key staff have got together specifically to do justice in a sequel.