Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts sold under 150k units in the US last year

Wednesday, 28th January 2009 09:32 GMT By Mike

banjo2b.jpg

According to Gamespot, NPD figures show that Rare’s Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts sold just 140,000 copies in the US last year.

Gamespot had enquired about 360 exclusives outside of the all format top ten and NPD revealed that in comparison, Fable II sold 1.2 million units.

The piece goes on to say that 360 and original Xbox games made up 19 percent of US software sales in 2008.

More through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Microsoft really, really, really need to drag Rare kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Get them working on something new. They obviously have the tech talent, they just need a kick up the arse when it comes to designing games that people actually want to buy.

2. patlike

Be very interesting to see what they do next, yep. Something new would be a good thing, I think.

3. Blerk

They need to take everything in the office that reminds them of their N64 stuff out into the car park and burn it. If that includes people then so be it. It’s for the greater good.

4. JPickford

Nuts & Bolts IS new. It’s the most technically impressive game I’ve seen on 360. It’s not bug-ridden either like a lot of high profile titles.

There’s plenty wrong with the game but there’s also a hell of a lot to admire. It deserves to sell better.

5. Blerk

I agree – technically it’s really good.

6. elronathon

That’s pretty sad really. I loved this game, although it was definitely one of the hardest games to get into that I’ve played in ages.

They totally nailed the joy of building and really re-awakened what drove my love of lego when I was a kid. The real shame is that it took me about 13hrs to get to the point where I had all the cool parts – and enough of them – to really let rip.

Disappointing that so many people laid into it because it used the BK brand – I thought it was the ideal game world to house such a playful game.

7. scratchy69

Wonder how many more this would have sold had it been a Wii game?

8. Blerk

It’d have probably sold even less.

9. JPickford

“But the trouble is it’s a Banjo Kazooie game. Who the hell wants a Banjo Kazooie game these days?”

Yeah you’re probably right.

10. evilashchris

i think one of thr reasons was the lack of voice overs, kids just don’t want to be reading stuff these days.

Especially when it’s accompanied by that awful ‘chatter’ noise RARE use.

11. Blerk

I think I mentioned several times in the last few months that the sound effects made me want to kill people. With knives. Specifically the people who made the sound effects.

12. Psychotext

You need counselling. There’s no way something so minor should affect anyone so majorly. :P

13. JonFE

I fear that Rage are caught in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation.

They introduced new IP in the form of Kameo (I know it was supposed to be released on the CG, but it is new nevertheless) and Viva Pinata, which apparently did not have stellar sales – the later even with critical acclaim from reviewers.

They revived Banjo Kazooie in both original and -strange but interesting- new form, yet people did not buy them.

Surely they’ve made their fair share of mistakes (Perfect Dark Zero anyone?), but I guess some people will always evaluate Rare games against the millions MS paid to get them and find them inadequate.

14. JonFE

Psychotext, maybe Blerk is a case of video games promoting violence the tabloids warned us about :-P

15. Blerk

Kameo and Viva are the direction they should be going in, but I still think they need to tweak their style somewhat for the general 360 audience. They should certainly stick with the non-realistic stuff, but they’re too saccharine – they should take a look at the design of stuff like Psychonauts, Okami, Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet and Clank, etc. Cartoony but edgy.

16. Morrius

It’s the old Rare trap of complex mechanics in a game that appears to be for children.

BKN&B was a brilliant idea, and its executed very well, with a great script and great technology keeping me playing. However, the character design and UI is very unappealing. If they took on a few new artists and took a new direction, they’d probably be successful in bringing their talents into the next-gen in a meaningful way. LittleBigPlanet is a good example, with a more inclusive look and feel that appeals to all ages. The children who grew up playing Banjo Kazooie are now adults, and the children of this generation want something different. Make complex games or make simple games, but making a game far too complex for children accompanied by a kids TV show is madness.

The saddest thing is that BKN&B actually has some great commentary on the gaming industry, some really good jokes that only the hardcore or longtime fans are likely to get. It’s just buried under a 90′s visual style that badly needs a rethink.

17. Michael O'Connor

“Microsoft really, really, really need to drag Rare kicking and screaming into the 21st century.”

If Microsoft applied their standard game design tablet with Rare, the next game Rare releases will involve a band of hardened space marines yet again saving the universe from whatever alien invasion is looming on the horizon…

On that note, BKN&B = brilliant game.

18. DrDamn

BKN&B had a lot going for it – as mentioned technically it is one of the best this gen. The premise of the game the structure etc is all great. Where it failed for me was crucially on the vehicle handling itself. They didn’t nail that at all. You could eventually build a better handling vehicle yourself, but that still left a lot of challenges where they vehicle was chosen for you already – and they tended to suck.

19. elronathon

agreed I always let out a sigh when I was forced to drive a premade vehicle…

also, always wanted to drive my custom vehicles on the main hub level…unless that happens at the end – haven’t got there yet