Ex 1UP Show staff launch Co-Op

Wednesday, 21st January 2009 20:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

area5logo.jpg

The is life after Ziff Davis. A bunch of the old staff from the 1UP Show have launched Co-Op, a new program with a distinctly 1UPy feel. Watch the first episode here.

The newly-formed production company behind it, Area 5, can be found here. Ex EGM ed Dan Hsu looks to be leading the charge.

Apparently Area 5′s received so many fan donations its PayPal account’s been frozen. That’s popularity for you.

1. theevilaires

what no comments here?! oh xbots where are you?.. oh i forgot you guys don’t comment on articles that don’t contain the words sony,ps3,ps2,psp,or playstation exclusive. excuse my ignorance shall you….moving along :P

2. Blerk

Smashing! I shall watch this later with a nice cup of tea.

3. Quiiick

Watched the first “Co-Op” (what a stupid name) show and was not impressed at all.

Good games don’t make a good show. Cut out the game footage and you’re left with nothing but a few unemployed guys chatting boringly about their favorite hobby. Anyone could do that.
    But judging by the comments on YouTube, the kids seem to like this show despite it lacking any quality … :(

4. Blerk

Did you never watch the 1Up Show? This is exactly the same. I felt right at home, I hope they can manage to continue.

What’s a ‘quality’ games show, then?

5. Tiger Walts

Quiiick, you just described the 1up Yours Podcast and a lot of people liked that.

As for quality, I disagree. It has been edited really well with speaking bits being stitched together in a way that flows. The added game clips providing some support to each speaker’s views.

Best of all, the commentary provided by the participants is honest. There’s not a whiff commercial agenda that past shows reek of as they ultimately find themselves become an misused marketing tool.

I want unabashed game commentary, not re-de-constructed press releases.

6. Quiiick

@ Blerk

Yes, I watched most of the 1Up Show episodes. They weren’t any better either. Not terrible bad but nothing to get exited about.

And no, it is not exactly the same. You can almost smell the fear and uncertainty of unemploment in the new show. And the technical quality is far beyond the old show. But I don’t blame them for this.

If you can’t imagine a ‘quality’ games show, I really feel sorry for you.
    Just because it doesn’t exist yet, doesn’t mean we have to aplaude to mediocrity.

7. Blerk

I wasn’t trying to be rude, Quiiick – I just wondered what you actually wanted?

The reason I like the 1Up stuff of old is precisely what Tiger said – it’s pure, unbiased, no-nonsense, no-agenda opinion. Apart from Shane Bettenhausen.

8. Quiiick

@ Blerk

No need to apologize. I’m aware that you’re a quite polite person (just a little biased towards the 360 sometimes). ;)

And yes, both of you are absolutely right about 1UP of old being pure, unbiased, no-nonsense, no-agenda opinion. But still, it’s kiddy stuff, honest but lacking decent intelectual quality.

9. ecu

Who the fuck wants “intellectual quality”? They’re talking about videogames, not crisis in the middle east.

10. Quiiick

… and to answer you’re question. A really good video-podcast about gaming would not only have to be more intelligent. The most important ingredient to be entitled a “quality” show would involve more background information and much, more insider knowledge from the games-industry. Lots of interviews with people actually making games and not only taking about their newest game but giving enlightening insights to the general state of this vibrant industry.

11. Quiiick

@ ecu
    You seem to really like dumb stuff.

12. Blerk

I don’t much like interviews, tbh – I’d leave them out of my ‘perfect’ video game show altogether. In fact I’d leave everything out other than previews and reviews, and I’d have all of them in much the same style as 1Up/Co-Op do here – let the people go and see it and then talk about it among themselves while popping in some good-quality video footage. I don’t even want scores.

I would probably leave out the ‘comedy’ bits that 1Up used to do, though – those I can live without.