Wii moving to break PS2’s record, PS3 trailing like GameCube

Tuesday, 20th January 2009 10:20 GMT By Nathan Grayson

consoles1b11.jpg

VentureBeat has taken a long, hard look at the numbers and rendered a verdict. The site’s startling discovery: Wii is to PS2 as PS3 is to GameCube.

According to NPD data (U.S. only), Nintendo’s bid for the throne currently sits at 17.5 million units sold. At the same period during its legendary reign, Sony’s PS2 had only moved 15.9 million units.

Meanwhile, the PlayStation 3 is forging its own, decidedly less lucrative path with 6.79 million units distributed across the U.S. The GameCube, an odd duck in its own right, let Nintendo’s manufacturing facilities grow fat and complacent with a mere 6.75 million units sold.

As for the Xbox 360, well, you’ve probably already guessed; Microsoft’s second console is the spitting image of its first, moving only 18% more quickly at this point.

Any guesses as to who will snag the best horse on the merry-go-round next?

By Nathan Grayson

1. G1GAHURTZ

The PS3 is doomed.

2. monkeyman

Do you ever get the feeling that this site is a bit anti PS3??? lol

3. BillyBatts

Interesting reading though. PS3 the new Gamecube. Does this make PSP the new Virtual Boy?

4. Blerk

No, somebody actually bought a PSP.

5. Retroid

monkeyman said: “Do you ever get the feeling that this site is a bit anti PS3??? lol”

No, I get the feeling they’re reporting fact and trend. lol

Just like every site which reported the lower-than-PS2 sales of the Xbox were *obviously* biased against the original Xbox. lol

6. elronathon

@Retroid: lol

incidentally thats the first and last time I’ll ever write that in a comment section.

7. absolutezero

It still gives me a lump in my throat when I realise that people still care about how popular their gaming platform of coice is.

Its like caring about how many TVs Samsung has sold in comparison to Hitachi or something.

Samsung for life yo. This site is Toshiba-centric.

8. Psychotext

/proudly displays Samsung defence force emblem

9. Eregol

You can’t compare the PS3 and the Gamecube to be honest though can you?
    GC never had any third-party support of any note, the PS3 has third party support in spades and the PS3 is slowly but surely catching up with the 360.

As far as the Wii goes…….God save us all.

10. absolutezero

The difference between the Wii and PS2 is that the PS2 had a breath-taking variety of titles with loads of stand out amazing games.

The Wii is pretty much the opposite.

11. Blerk

the PS3 is slowly but surely catching up with the 360

Or it was, until MS dropped the price. Now it isn’t.

12. absolutezero

It was’nt really before either. I doubt it will.

Noes!

13. Tf53

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

*ahem* But seriously, it’s interesting to see the overlap in both Wii/PS2 and GCN/PS3. Although I have no doubt that the PS3 will continue to have better game support than the Gamecube did.

14. elronathon

Capcom loved the GC and thats all that matters…

to me at least.

15. Retroid

The GC died and long and painful death, the PS3 won’t.

But they do need a massive kick up the arse.

16. crippledhooba

There is no way the ps3 is like the gamecube, i had a gamecube and that was so crap i sold it about 6 months after getting it. I bought my ps3 at launch and I still love it especially the bluray player. Love my xbox.

17. Mad-elph

Can I be the only one to see the humourous link between the Gamecube is a Wii with a new controller and case? So if you add Gamecube number to Wii number then you get PS2 numbers…. Also if the PS3 is the Gamecube, then PS3.5 will sell a shitonne of consoles, Sony should be happy with that. I suspect they will introduce a PS3 with a new vid card in 2 years, just to make it a bit prettier…

I think the PS3 will do fine once the drop the price, and if they move a couple million more then I will be happy as it will mean that developer support will continue for a while longer. Whether if wins the console race or not is stupid, but I don’t want it to suffer like Dreamcast and Gamecube with a short life (thank the universe I did not buy into those shite consoles.

I keep hearing of people leaving Xbox to PS after a few failures, can anyone here tell me different?

18. airdom

i for one will never switch hehe