MadWorld, House of the Dead and The Conduit to drive ‘broader market success,’ says Sega

Monday, 19th January 2009 12:33 GMT By Mike

madword12b.jpg

Alan Pritchard (MD of Sega Europe North ) and John Clark (UK sales director) have told MCV that they feel titles such as the 18 rated MadWorld and more adult themed games such as The Conduit can only server to broaden the Wii demographic.

“There have been some good hardcore Wii titles. Resident Evil 4 has done reasonable numbers; Red Steel has also performed really well. But since then, many publishers have migrated towards the more mass-market family titles, so perhaps there hasn’t been the array or depth of hardcore titles on Wii,” said Pritchard. “So there is definitely opportunity here.”

“More family friendly titles are being released on PlayStation and 360 as this is a growth area for these formats. Maybe with Wii there’s a reverse opportunity,” said Clarke.

“We’d like to maintain the success we’ve had on Nintendo formats. One way of achieving that is with new IP like The Conduit and MadWorld, and traditional Sega titles will continue to drive broader market success.”

MadWorld was recently given an 18-rating in the UK.

Full interview through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

I hope he’s right! Personally I can’t see them doing anything other than sinking without a trace.

2. Robo_1

After the failure of No More Heroes to do anything of significance, it’s far from a safe bet that Sega are laying down, but they seem to have some real quality releases behind them, so hopefully it will pay off.

I know all three of those games are day one purchases for me.

3. Tonka

I think No More Heroes is considered a success to be honest. But I agree about the risk involved with those titles.

4. SticKboy

I can see The Conduit shifting a few units, but I don’t see MadWorld becoming popular outside the bubble of connected gamers. I do hope I’m mistaken, though…

5. MasterChiefFenix

Makes me mad that those 3 games r Wii exclusives cuz if I wasted my money on that casual/kiddy/women’s console, i’d rly have nothing to play on it besides those 3 unless i wanted to choose from some casual/kiddy/women’s gaems.

6. MasterChiefFenix

and No More Heroes too, but that’s only 4 out of HOW MANY WII PORTS, CHEAP “VIRTUAL CONSOLE”, AND SHITTY KIDDY/CASUAL/WOMEN’S GAMES? Nintendo doesn’t have my interest enough at the moment.

7. Tonka

I’m impressed by the amount of work you put into that sock.

8. No_PUDding

It’s all about the exclsuives. If they build up you gotta buy one really.

If you can afford it.

But SEGA are very good this generation, when they stick to their new franchises, and forget about the past.

Hell I cannot wait to get a computer in 4 years time to play Empire: Total War.

9. The_Deleted

Mad World looks fun but I just cannot get with the quirky controls of the Wii. They just seem to get in the way of a decent game and mask the faults of others.

10. Bringit

Go on Sega, show Nintendo how it’s done.

Madworld looks truly brilliant, and I’m even tempted by HOTD.