Forbes: Rock Band is “shameless knockoff” of Guitar Hero

Sunday, 18th January 2009 21:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rockbandlogoa.jpg

Say what you mean, Forbes. Don’t hold back. In a spotlight piece on Activision supremo Bobby Kotick, the US mag’s accused EA of ripping off Guitar Hero with Rock Band.

“EA… teamed with MTV to sell Rock Band, a shameless knockoff of Guitar Hero that added drums, bass and a microphone to the world of make-believe rock stars,” says the article.

“EA says it is returning to an ‘auteur model’ of designing games, taking bigger chances on fewer ideas.”

Bet Mr Riccitiello’ll be pleased about that. Go get yourself some of your own ideas, John. Leave Bobby alone.

1. ashers2ashers

ahh, the ignorance ;-)

2. The_Deleted

Christ, every game rips off the innovators. Every FPS rips off DOOM and every open world rips off GTA. I want the rythm game that that guy in Lost in Translation was playing. That looked like it would be a challenge.

3. ashers2ashers

Exactly!
    And I haven’t seen that film but believe it’s set mainly in Japan? and am gonna guess it was pop’n fresh which I REALLY want too. That game looks so amazingly fun.

4. airdom

Bullshit. Rock Band branched out of the guitar only game first. Kotick is a dick, and forbes is biased. hah this is completely stupid. and above all…Harmonix start Guitar Hero…haha

5. deftangel

Activision’s transition to being the “New Old EA” continues…

6. crippledhooba

I’m sorry didn’t the makers of “Rock Band” invent “Guitar Hero” and the genre. Or is that just me?

7. Michael O'Connor

So I guess Guitar Hero was just a rip-off of Frequency that added a guitar then?

Wow…

8. cachucha

is it just me or rock band > guitar hero?
    I remember when gh3 and rb came out, guiter hero looked like a joke compared to rock band(and still does) and gameplay wise well i liked everything better on rock band :P

9. Blerk

Good work on the research there, Forbes!

10. Hero of Canton

Laughable. Just when you think videogame reportage in the mainstream is getting better…

11. airdom

and above all…Harmonix and Redoctane ripped off Konami in the first place with their Guitar Freaks aracde games. So this is kinda stupid haha.

Now just shut up Kotick. thx :)