New Yakuza 3 shots show Don Quijote shop

Friday, 16th January 2009 11:45 GMT By Mike

yakuza31b.jpg

Eight new images have emerged from Japan showing off more of Sega’s action-adeventure game, Ryū ga Gotoku 3 aka, Yakuza 3.

You can see the protagonist mooching about in what is the Don Quijote shop apparently. It all looks incredibly detailed and colourful.

There are also a few posters for your perusal.

Yakuza 3 is due for a release in Japan sometime this year however Europe and the US are still TBC.

Check them out.

1. Blerk

It looks smashing. I loves Yakuza. Shame Sega don’t seem to know what they’re doing with the franchise outside of Japan. :-(

2. Psychotext

Yeah, I’m looking forward to this one (hopefully it’ll get released anyway). The vids I’ve seen are excellent.

3. No_PUDding

It looks pretty high budget, like they can’t afford not bringing it out over here.

Especially on one platform.

And there is only one reason Y2 came over so late.

4. Psychotext

Why was that?

5. ruckus

I hope it doesn’t turn out to be another case of a very detailed environment wrapped up in a very non-interactive world. Games have got the vehicle interaction done. They just need to extend it to mundane things like chairs.

6. Blerk

The reason why Y2 was so late was because the original sold like crap and they weren’t actually going to bother with the sequel. Then the PS3 didn’t take off like they expected and there weren’t many PS2 games about and the fans were asking for it, so they relented and released it. And it sold like crap.

You can certainly see why they might hesitate at releasing another sequel on a machine with a much, much smaller user base.

7. No_PUDding

I think the point is, it’s a much more active user-base, and the reason they brought over Y2, was to pave the way for Y3 over here.

But… As Blerk said, sales of Y2 hardly will have persuaded them. But I am sure that’s why it was decided.

8. Blerk

I do agree that the Western Yakuza 2 release was a test – they obviously saw the ‘cult’ buzz that the original generated after its initial release and decided to take a gamble on the sequel being more popular based on word of mouth.

Unfortunately I think we failed again. Dismally.

9. No_PUDding

Yeah.

You can all blame me aswell.

10. Blerk

Well, you can’t blame me. :-)

/polishes copy of Yakuza 2
    /metaphorically

11. No_PUDding

xD

12. Retroid

Might’ve done well if there were new BC machines around. Looks quite reasonable on my 60gb.

But anyway, new Yakuza: DO WANT

13. Blerk

Perhaps they should’ve done a 360 version too this time if they wanted it to sell better in the West?

14. No_PUDding

Well I think if it were going to sell in the West the original would have sold on the massive PS2 userbase, or Yakuza 2 even….

Unless that was a joke too.. I can’t tell anymore.

But yeah, BC on my PS3 is awesome. Shadow of the Colossus minus framerate issues is awesome, should have got Yakuza 2 really.