Nathan Drake is not your typical videogame hero, he doesn’t shoot 50ft aliens, says Naughty Dog

Thursday, 15th January 2009 13:51 GMT By Mike

uncharted2b11.jpg

In and interview with CVG, Uncharted: Among Thieves game director, Bruce Straley, said that it is Nathan Drake’s human qualities as a videogame character that sets him apart from the rest of the pack.

“We worked hard to make Nathan Drake feel like a real person, and as grounded a hero as we’ve yet seen in video games, ” said Straley. “He’s not your typical video game hero, destroying 50 foot aliens in his armored space suit.”

“He’s a real dude existing somewhere on this planet right now, dealing with the people he’s surrounded himself by, and the situations he finds himself in.”

You can find all our Uncharted: Among Thieves coverage here.

Full interview through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Psychotext

I can’t speak for anyone else… but I don’t tend to meet that many mutants on my day to day travels.

2. Blerk

You obviously don’t work at my place.

3. No_PUDding

Thanks for linking to the interview, I saw the AI talk prelude to it, but hadn’t realised it was up.

Anyway, it’s a shame Nathan Drake is missing out on shooting those giant mutants, it’s fun. But I would have had it any other way, hell the zombies pissed me off enough.

4. Alakratt

50ft aliens? Is that a jab against Resistance 2?

5. No_PUDding

It kind of deserves to be.

I hope Resistance 3 goes back to FoM SP, becuase that was awesome, love the UK setting and innocence of it, and the Coop can stay. Just need to make it more fun and visceral.

6. Alakratt

I have the first one, but the second one I still haven’t got it, I dunno, it just doesn’t motivate me enough to buy it.

7. No_PUDding

Nah, if I wanted to play CoD4, well I already have.

Fall of Man had it’s own style, R2 just kind of looked at CoD4, Half Life, Bioshock and Gears and made a dirty almagamation, set in the first ones universe, while totally screwing the universe up.

Yeah my view of Insomniac after that isn’t really that positive.

8. shine1396

Poor insominiac…when R1 launched they had to deal with all this negativity…
    R2 is heaps and bounds better then R1. As just one example: shooting is the main component in fps and that is hundreds of times better in R2 then R1.
    first playthrough I wasn’t cool about the some of the changes. But now the game is its own game and stands up pretty well.
    I would love the wagon wheel weapons back, as well as the narrator but for me R1 is a classic ps3 shooter, because it was the first good ps3 one yet for me R2 is the better game between the two.

9. SticKboy

As opposed to Niko Bellic?

10. No_PUDding

Maybe for me it is just sepia toned nostalgia, but I loved the settign of R1, the innoncent (non-speaking) and generic charcter, and the narrator.

And the gunplay which was relatively tame, made you appreciate the fun ideas with the weapons even moreso. And it was tame.

They mixed the enemies up far more, and boss battles didn’t feel like a 3D point and click cutscene.

Just in general it has an interesting art direction.

So taking it to America and dousing it in that kind of generic setting, with a generic character, and even more generic weapons, killed the signature feel of R:FoM.

11. Squa11

Hmm who seems more human like Niko Bellic or Nathan Drake?

12. No_PUDding

I think for Uncharted characterisation was obviously it’s forte especially taking into account team memebers involved, and Drake came across exactly as Naughty Dog intended, and in the process made Nolan North instantly recognisable as Nathan Drake.

When reviewers slammed PoP for it, becuase he was Natahn Drake, you could tell that Naughty Dog did a great job. They virtually OWN that voice.

13. Johnny Cullen

“Hmm who seems more human like Niko Bellic or Nathan Drake”

But which is better, Nathan Drake or Niko Bellic?

There is only one way to find out…

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!