“I absolutely wish we could have spent more time polishing Underworld,” says Tomb Raider dev

Monday, 12th January 2009 15:26 GMT By Mike

tombraider1b2.jpg

Posting on the Tomb Raider forums, TR: Underworld creative director Eric Lindstrom has confirmed that he was one of the 30 laid off last week, and has said that he wished Crystal Dynamics could have spent more time working on the game.

“I absolutely wish we could have spent more time polishing Underworld,” said Lindstrom. “I take my share of responsibility of aiming so high that we had a reduced ability to spend time on polish.”

He also wanted to answer the critics with regard to the 360 exclusive DLC:

“I cut content from the game and it later turned out to be possible to use in DLC, for which I was happy,” he said adding that, “it was a coincidence that we had some candidate content for DLC when the deal was made. I was glad for it, otherwise the stuff I had to cut out would have never seen the light of day.”

Eidos said this morning that Lara Croft was due a complete overhaul.

More through the link.

Thanks, Mig.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Sounds like they all rushed to get it on the shelves pre-Christmas. Perhaps they’d have done better holding it back until Easter or something? When there aren’t 500 other games coming out in the same month?

2. JonFE

Blerk, I tend to agree with you more and more; I wonder if that makes me a better man ;-)

3. SticKboy

It sounds like the management of Eidos are a bit stuck in the past if they thought Lara could compete with CoD, Gears and Resistance 2.

4. theevilaires

blah blah blah whatever, uncharted is better, you guys suck ass as game developers, and the tomb raider series is dead. go fucking die already.

5. Blerk

Uncharted and Tomb Raider really aren’t very much alike.

6. theevilaires

oh no, you climb,shoot,and solve puzzles….sound alike to me

7. DrDamn

You climb and shoot in Uncharted – don’t remember much in the way of puzzles though – at least nothing which would tax an 8 year old.

8. theevilaires

theres some tough puzzles in uncharted that would make an 8 year old give up, how bout that library bit with the north , east ,south statues, and theres the room after that with those stupid candles. oh and yea i forgot about the one room with those spinning disc symbols of a snake and stuff. If you told me you blew right through that than sir you’re the man.

9. Syrok

Well, it tells you how to do it in the book, so it’s not really hard.

10. theevilaires

yes i know that but i sure ms. crofts puzzles weren’t from the “worlds most brain stomping puzzle” book either