Wada: “We have to be global”

Friday, 9th January 2009 09:48 GMT By Mike

wada1b.jpg

In an interview with 1UP, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada has said that in 2009 the company cannot afford only to do well in Japan but now has to think global.

“…we need to start aiming for games that can immediately sell two or three million copies — not just in Japan, but worldwide,” he said.

“For better or worse, the game marketplace has become one of very high stakes. Our games are completely global now; we have to be global, both in terms of the consumer marketplace and where the games are developed.

“Being ‘global’ up to now simply meant Japanese companies would export game systems and titles overseas, but that’s no longer the case — you have to consider every possibility available, from selling Japan-made games overseas to selling overseas games in Japan,” he went on.

“I think this is a sign that the game business is starting to resemble most other industries. For a game publisher, you have only two choices: become a global business, or work in an extremely narrow niche. I think that’s a decision every company is facing.”

In October last year, Wada called for a Japanese alliance so that the Japanese games industry would be better equipped to face the challenge presented by the Western market.

Full interview with Wada through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. No_PUDding

Yoichi! There is a martian beside you!

2. Syrok

:D

3. Chutn3y

That’s his shadow, showing his TRUE FORM.

4. Blerk

He’s secretly a moogle! :-D

Japanese development has already split in half – the bigger companies aiming for worldwide stuff and the smaller ones who’ve now all but given up trying to do stuff that will sell in the West.

It’s a little sad, really – the West is ultimately going to end up missing out on many of the more uniquely Japanese titles now that the larger companies are designing their games with the West in mind (and tailoring the content accordingly). I don’t think we’ll ever see the likes of the PS2 software library again.

5. DaMan

“I don’t think we’ll ever see the likes of the PS2 software library again.”

Blerk – you mean SquareEnix’ PS2 software library?

6. No_PUDding

Blerk I so fuckign agree with you.

And it’s becuase of the consistently ignorant Western game industry that bigger companies are pressured to do this.

It’s possible for big titles to sell lots in all territries.

It’s also possible for Japanese oriented titles to sell fantastically in Japan, to justofy the investment costs.

I just find it ironic that the Eastern games industry is often indirectly accused of xenophobia in production, when it’s the ignorance of the West that is pressuring them to change.

Seems to immense shame to me.

7. Blerk

@DaMan: No, I mean the whole library in general, not just SquareEnix’s stuff.

@Pud: I don’t think it’s Western devs putting pressure on Japanese ones to change, I think it’s the Western market. Western consumers are just as cautious about Japanese stuff as the Japanese are about Western games, and are much less willing to take risks on something unfamiliar – especially when much of Japan’s output this generation is technologically a bit backward compared to the Western equivalents. It’s no surprise that Japanese companies have started to tailor their output accordingly.

8. DaMan

oh, okay then. but I don’t quite see anything like that in SquareEnix’ PS2 portfolio.. aside from VP2 and SO3 (which were made by Tri-Ace).

I’d say it’s way more sad we don’t see games like Xenogears from them.

9. No_PUDding

I agree, there is benefits to extending to the Western Amrket, but the Western Market, is not demanding the change from SE or any Japanese developer/publisher.

It’s just implying the games aren’t suited to it’s larger market.

But what you just said… How have they been technologically backward!? They have just been different to what we as the Western market are used to.

10. Blerk

Western developers are (on the whole) vastly ahead of most Japanese developers now, technology-wise. Japanese developers would be the first to admit this – in fact Wada has complained about it himself several times in the recent past.

11. No_PUDding

I disagree, I just think Japanese developers don’t have the pressure Western Developers do, to continually improve it.

There are developers in Japan that pride themselves on that kind of technological edge, but the market does not want it, like the market in the West.

Yakuza series has always been astounding looking, MGS games always looked amazing, Capcom games continually look superb. And for me personally, one of the technologically advanced games I have ever seen (to this day still), Shadow of the Colossus was developed under Eastern sentiments. And without the generic Kinetica engine all SCEA and SCEE studios used.

That’s basically a fallacy. Japanese devs can make technologically impressive as well as any Western dev. It’s just not a priority in the Eastern market.

12. 599USD