LittleBigPlanet sold over 200,000 copies in the UK

Thursday, 8th January 2009 10:54 GMT By Mike

lbp1b1.jpg

The ELSPA has awarded Media Molecule’s LittleBigPlanet Gold Status meaning the Sony flagship title has sold over 200,000 copies in the UK.

As Edge points out, the game is still selling steadily even though it dropped out of the UK Top Ten just one week after its fourth place début.

Sony has labelled the game “evergreen” meaning it will continue to sell for the months to come and blamed the crowded holiday season for the title not remaining in the all format Top Ten for a longer period.

More through the Edge link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Tonka

Well, here’s to hope!

2. Blerk

That said, 200,000 copies is still pretty low for a high-profile title like this. Which is a shame. :-(

3. Michael O'Connor

“Well, I’m glad it’s done better than we originally thought, but I can’t imagine it hanging around for much longer now that we’re out of the console-buying season.”

The reason it keeps selling is because of the expansive nature of the game, a unique factor for console games. Most other games would have just had a quick rush of high sales, then disappeared off the radar.

I’m sure the (usually overpriced) DLC for the game will keep it ticking along for a while yet as well.

4. Blerk

I’m not convinced about that at all, Michael. I think the only reason it’s continued selling is because people were actually buying PS3s over the Christmas period and picking it up alongside their new machines.

I remain unconvinced that many people even realise it’s anything more than a traditional platformer.

5. G1GAHURTZ

I walked into Game the other day and it was about number 15 in their ‘shelf chart’.

6. Michael O'Connor

“I think the only reason it’s continued selling is because people were actually buying PS3s over the Christmas period and picking it up alongside their new machines.”

Word of mouth can be a quiet effective tool, and the vast majority of gamers I know have given it nothing but critical acclaim.

As long as the word keeps spreading amongst the casual and core gamers alike… it certainly has a broader scope for longevity than most other titles.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

7. Retroid

“Sony has … blamed the crowded holiday season for the title not remaining in the all format Top Ten for a longer period.”

They seemed to be the only ones to think it’d be a smash, without almost everyone else saying it’d “do well”.

8. DrDamn

Shelf Charts = Amazon / Play charts = a nonsense

It is continuing to sell in reasonable numbers. According to “huge pinch of salt” VGChartz it’s now approaching 2m world wide.

I love the way they have the facility to add stuff which completely changes what you can do with the game – MGS pack for example added a lot to the gameplay. Future stuff could add just as much – imagine adding water/fluid dynamics into the mix.

9. DrDamn

@Retroid
    Surely Sony treating it like it’d be a smash is a big part of it doing well though? For that they should be applauded not derided.

10. Retroid

I meant the whole run-up for it, including massive hoardings of Sackboy, saying he’s their new mascot, all of that.

I honestly never, ever thought it’d be as big as they seemed to think (and a lot of the Sony fanboys who were almost treating it as Holy). I thought “it’ll do well”. Which it has.

And it’s a very cool thing that they’ve supported it as much as they have, it’s a great little game and a nice idea.

11. SniperWolf

WTF!!! didn’t LBP sold Over a million …check your number please

12. Mike

“In the UK” not ze virld.

13. Psychotext

SniperWolf… ignoring the fact that you’re linking VGCharts, that’s the world number – this is the UK number.

Edit – Damn you Mike.

14. Mike

HA!

15. DrDamn

Interesting that it gets a lot of implied “poor sales” talk when the only seasonal release to have outsold it on PS3 was CoD:World at War by the look of it.

16. No_PUDding

Welllll…. The litus test is if we coudl go back in time, and give MS the rights.

See if it’s a hard title to sell, or just awfully marketed.

17. DrDamn

Well MS didn’t exactly shine with their platformer/creation game didn’t they?

18. No_PUDding

That’s true…..

And it was a value title, AND i saw it advertised. But not on TV, which is most important.