Ubisoft’s I am Alive first details unveiled – to be first-person shooter

Wednesday, 7th January 2009 11:43 GMT By Mike

iamalive1b.jpg

In an article in this month’s GamesTM it is revealed in a preview article that the DarkWorks developed survival game has you playing as a man called Adam Collins after a mysterious earthquake destroys Chicago and will be a first-person shooter.

There is a huge focus on story and according to producer Alexis Goddard, the game promises to change the rules that both “everyday life and videogames rely on.”

“In I Am Alive, we’re not only turning your everyday life upside down; we’re also changing the very social values and rules that both everyday life and videogames rely on.” said Goddard.

The reason for the person person perspective are as follows: “We wanted the player to really feel the power of Mother Nature, to feel the danger coming from the collapsing towers and devastating rifts, feel the chaos happening all around him. There’s nothing like a first-person view to create that kind of emotion.

“We encourage the players to use tactics, diversion, and discretion,” said Goddard of the combat.

“You’ve found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets — rightfully so, since Chicago has long been a proponent of a ban on guns. How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they’ll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective. However, you can only aim it at one person, so you have to watch for being flanked.”

I am Alive was announced back in July 2008 and Jade Raymond was thought to be involved. It has emerged recently however that Miss Raymond has nothing to do with the project.

Full thing over at 1UP

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

I’m a bit disappointed that it’s first-person, actually – I always prefer third-person.

The game itself sounds like a cross between SOS: Final Escape and Bioshock, from the sounds of it. Which might be an okay mix.

2. Aretak

I’m also disappointed to learn that this is yet another first-person shooter. I had imagined it being something like a next-gen SOS: Final Escape from the preview trailer, but I guess that would have been too much to hope for.

3. that_happy_cat

Have they copied the shotgun mechanic from Super Mario’s encounters with the Boos?

4. Rhythm

I read that article but didn’t clock it was 1st person. Still, could definitely be decent given the quality of recent 1st-person adventures out there.

5. No_PUDding

Blerk, I was thinking more Disaster Report.

And fuck FPS.

6. Blerk

Disaster Report is SOS: Final Escape! :-D

Different regions, different name, same game.

7. Morrius

I’m fine with first person.

8. SticKboy

Gah, I’m no fan of first-person. The only way it could be truly emotionally immersive is if we all played using horizontally curved screens.

Give me a third person perspective any day, far more engaging and – crucially – easier to navigate complex environments.

9. No_PUDding

Well slap my ass and call me suzy.

I have no fucking idea why. Maybe it seems I deserve to be assualted and called girls names for my ignorance.

Yeah well Morrius, I think your opinion is wrong. Yeah. ‘Me’, breaking subjective rules since 2009.

10. SticKboy

OI, SUZY!

[slap]

11. ecu

First person is fine. I played Fallout 3 in first person the whole way through, it’s perhaps more immersive this way. It depends what type of game it is, and obviously they think it’s best with first person viewpoint. So it’s a little odd to be saying “wish it was third person” when they are the ones making the game, and they are the ones who know what’s best for it.

12. Blerk

Well, considering they say there’s some platforming involved, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to suggest that third-person might’ve been a better choice. Look at Mirror’s Edge, for example.

Of course, it may well have both views in there. In which case everyone’s happy. Well, except me. I’m never happy.

13. No_PUDding

Shut your dirtyy whore mouth Blerk.

<3 Mirror’s Edge.

If you suck, and don’t like time trials, you can fuck off, but don’t knock the game. :D

But otherwise I totally agree.

And let me say, there was never really a third person option in Fallout 3, unless you wanted to blind yourself with the generations worst animations.

14. Blerk

I rated ME a 7, so I didn’t hate it. Although you’re right – I can’t be arsed with time trials. But there were plenty of times where I wished I had a third-person view of a particular thing.

15. No_PUDding

Well seriously, I dunno why I love it so much, but thinking of each level as a track instead of a level, makes it awesome for me.

And unless you actively try to find differing routes for your journey the game is 5 hours long.

But it’s all about experimentation.

And trial and error isn’t necessarily bad game design, if it’s the right context. Hell, MegaMan 9 (for me at least) is completely trial and error.

But I got to admit, the art direction really is the star of the show. Just kept on imaginign it on the KZ2 engine though :(

Would be so amazing.

16. Blerk

It took me about 12 hours to get through the ME story mode and I wasn’t specifically taking my time. I’ve no idea where these ‘it’s all over in ten minutes’ claims actually come from.

17. No_PUDding

Yeah me neither to be honest.

Well I do, and it’s when I ahve learnt my fast speedy routes and execute them amazingly.

Yes, I am awesome then.

18. ecu

You’re right. After all, you are the one making the game.

Oh, wait! :D

19. Blerk

How do you know I’m not? Eh? Eh?

/mysterious wink

20. Retroid

I nearly dangerously misread that.

21. No_PUDding

ecu, I think it’s fair to say executing it in firts person will be more challenging, that’s all.

22. Hero of Canton

Not every game presented in the first-person is an FPS, you know. Mirror’s Edge isn’t a first-person shooter and neither is this.