“We wanted to show this wasn’t just a jungle game,” says Naughty Dog

Tuesday, 6th January 2009 16:03 GMT By Mike

uncharted2b.jpg

In an interview with Edge, Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra said that this time round, the Uncharted: Among Thieves team has something prove in the environment department.

“We wanted a wide range of environments this time,” explains Balestra. “We wanted to show this wasn’t just a jungle game.”

According to the article, Among Thieves looked anything but:

And, from what we’ve seen, the team has succeeded in this aim: alongside ice caverns and frozen mountainsides, we’re shown a real variety of environments, from lush indoor spaces filled with gold leaf and bright colours, to an opulent train with blood red curtains and swinging brass lights, and a desolate Nepalese monastery clinging to the side of a cliff.

Full interview through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. DaMan

it would be better if you wanted to show this isn’t just a TR clone.

2. Syrok

Is it?

3. Mike

No. It isn’t.

4. Smartypants

I liked the jungle environments :(

Some of the screens released so far look like Gears of War only with the lights turned on and a bit more colour. Do not want.

5. DaMan

I fail to see how it isn’t a TR clone, besides not a good one. I’d rather replay Anniversary.

6. seregrail7

It doesn’t play anything like Tomb Raider. It has some platforming and the odd simple puzzle, but the focus is on shooting and the platforming and puzzles are simply used to break up the action segments.

7. Michael O'Connor

Drake’s has never been a Tomb Raider clone. The only thing those games have in common is running around ruins.

Drakes is an extremely solid shooter, and one of the few PS3 exclusive games actually worth playing.

8. DaMan

I see this game as TR with more shooting and silly AI..

have you guys played Legend and Anniversary?

9. Syrok

So Fifa is a PES clone and Gears of War a Half-life clone?

10. Michael O'Connor

“have you guys played Legend and Anniversary?”

Yes, and they’re great games too.

But the similarities between those and Drake are superficial at best.

11. Esha

Drake’s Fortune & Tomb Raider are both of the action-adventure genre but that doesn’t mean that every game within the action-adventure genre is a clone of what one person subjectively feels is the best game of that genre.

It’s like saying that Baldur’s Gate II is an Oblivion clone, that Sonic is a Mario clone, or that Outrun is a Tourismo clone. That’s more than a little flawed, and somewhat immature at the same time.

Edit: Gods damn it, Syrok beat me to it. I hadn’t spotted his post! Well done, Syrok. It really is a valid point, though, isn’t it?

12. DaMan

sigh, fine. but personally there was nothing in this game that impressed me, aside from visuals. there was nothing I haven’t experienced before, playing TR games in particular.

“You were just trying to get everyone riled up, weren’t you, DaMan? I can’t think of any other reason you’d make a comment like that.”
    haha. no. why would I btw? it’s actualy how I feel about this game. also, the hype Uncharted gets is somewhat annoying. wouldn’t it be an exclusive title, a lot of people wouldn’t rate it so highly.

13. Aretak

That’s absoloute pish quite frankly, DaMan. You didn’t enjoy Uncharted, okay, fine. But to start saying that nobody else could have possibly enjoyed it that much either, and just hype it up because it’s an exclusive title, is utter nonsense.

14. DaMan

“You didn’t enjoy Uncharted, okay, fine. But to start saying that nobody else could have possibly enjoyed it that much either,”
    no, I never said people couldn’t enjoy it. I didn’t enjoy it, but if I would rate this game, I’d give it probably 7/10, perhaps 8 at max. my opinion is that this game clearly gets more hype than it deserves actually, I can’t see how the first one got all those reviews in any case. man, maybe Killzone or Halo deserve all the hype they get?

15. No_PUDding

I just read someone write silly AI….

So I’d really like that person to substantiate what they mean, becuase in my opinion there’s not been many games with better AI.

I hope there is still jungle. I don’t want a concrete jungle, and I don’t want cliched ice caverns, I don’t care how beauitful they are. I want leaves and shit!

16. Esha

DaMan, the reason I thought you were trying to get people riled is because of the way you went about stating your opinion.

I’ve seen many a troll say something like that just to wind a board up, to get everyone arguing over something so they could feel satisfied by their efforts at social engineering. It’s nonsense like that that’s left me tired and wary of dealing with people on Internet boards, so I jumped the gun, sorry.

If you’d just shared the opinion that you didn’t enjoy it that much as a gaming experience, and felt it was a bit overrated, I wouldn’t have had anything to say. I doubt anyone would have had, to be honest.

17. Gamoc

I love Uncharted. I think it deserves the hype it gets, and it’s not because it’s an exclusive game, that’s just a stupid thing to say.

18. No_PUDding

Well it’s certainly got some quality talent behind it.

And it’s an artistic wonder.

I just love the feel to be honest in the shooting sections, and the mixing up of Game Design.

EDGE’s preview was somewhat overly positive to me, so I am a bit worried. (that might sound like it makes no sense, but it does)

19. DaMan

No_PUDding – personally, in terms of gunfights I had more fun with Syphon Filter DM on PSP.. thanks to AI, all of the gunfights are the same thing over and over, there’s no variety in what they do. take cover, shoot each other, repeat. I also had them occasionally just standing in open space and shooting me.

yeah right, Gamoc. and Killzone2 will be the best shooter ever. how come this game gets better score than TR games? THAT is stupid. I understand people might ‘ve enjoyed this game, what’s annoying is score like 9/10, because that’s ridiculous.

20. No_PUDding

Clearly you haven’t played it

OR you watched videos and passed judgement

AND/OR you played the demo and passed judgement

Your choice.

EDIT: Although I can understand you personally preferring Syphon Filter, I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to make at all, nor is it relevant. But my retort was in relation to the ‘all gunfights are the same’ comment

Becuase that is clearly one of Uncharteds best strengths. Varying combat, scenarios and enemy tactics.

21. DaMan

you know what, N0_PUDding? I knew you would either ask me what games have better AI then or say that I haven’t played this one.

Edit: and I actually agreed to disagree with you guys. it’s clear that I’m outnumbered :P.

22. No_PUDding

You know what D4Man? Well done for predicting my reponse.

Although what a shame, I was kind of hoping you’d enlighten me as to how they were all the same.

Specifically when (and I’ll give you a hint) there are levels that totally do away with the cover system. I can go on if needs be.

The game for me could do away with the platforming for the sequel though. Unless as this previews says, it’s more of a mixture of the shooting and platforming, as they intended for Uncharted.

23. that_happy_cat

You have to admit that the repetition of characters popping out (big fella with shotgun etc) did get a bit tiresome… and they were NOT particularly intelligent.

But, I played it to the end… and had a great time with it. First game in ages that I’ve completed for fun.

24. No_PUDding

I disliked the fat guy with the grenade launcher more xD

But yeah, if that is what the game consisted of, then I’d agree. But the combat is not based on, fight 5 guys then kill the shotgun man.

And even within that siuaton (which you find occasionally in the earlier levels) there’s the excellent melee to break it up.

25. DaMan

I’m glad you had fun with driving vehicles, No_PUDding. this is clearly the first game ever to have that.

26. that_happy_cat

Agreed No Pud… plenty of occasions broke it up. Felt to me like “boss” sections without the boss in a weird way. Don’t get me wrong, I was a huge champion of this game. I reckon, with more support, a bigger budget perhaps, the sequel will be just lovely.

27. DaMan

@ No_PUDding : besides, I don’t quite understand your point. by that logic, if I hated Manhunt as a stealth game, the non-stealth levels would make a difference?

28. No_PUDding

Driving vehicles?

There was 1 jet-ski (more platforming anyway) section, and it’s not what I was talking about.

Although it IS an exmaple of the variation, not in the enmies tactics though. Nor in your reponse to them.

29. Syrok

There was the on-rail jeep section which was rather excellent. :)