Microsoft wants Radiant Silvergun for Live Arcade

Tuesday, 6th January 2009 08:00 GMT By Mike

radiantb1.jpg

In an interview with Gama, Treasure CEO Masato Maegawa has revealed that Microsoft enquired about the Saturn shoot ‘em up, Radiant Silvergun for its XBLA service.

“Microsoft actually asked us if we could put it out,” he said. “We’re thinking about it, certainly, but it’s not as simple as just saying ‘OK, let’s put it up.’ I mean, sure, with Ikaruga, we released it as-is without having to do or add a great deal to the game, and it was popular and well accepted for what it was. But if you play Radiant Silvergun nowadays, it’s certainly aged in assorted ways, and I’m not sure they’re all good.”

However, although Treasure seems positive about a re-make, the develop remains unsure as to whether Live Arcade would be its natural home:

“I think we’d definitely like to see it out there. But the situation around that game is a bit different from Ikaruga, so I don’t know if we’d see it on [Xbox Live].”

Thanks, Kotaku.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

I never quite saw the appeal in putting this sort of stuff on XBLA, tba. All of the stuff I’ve been most interested in has been ‘new’ software. Did Ikaruga sell well?

2. Retroid

Actually, I thought shmups like this would be *perfect* for XBLA, as they’ve grown incredibly niche over the years, particularily in the west.

I wouldn’t buy something like this on disk but I could well do on XBLA (indeed, I have several), and for the developer / publishers, there’s all the assorted issues of manufacture, distribution, getting places to stock it etc. Whereas if it’s up on XBLA, it’s always available and there’s a demo.

3. Blerk

But why does it always have to be the old stuff? Why can’t they give Treasure a sack of money and ask them to make a new shooter instead? Radiant Goldgun or something?

4. Aretak

I’d quite like to see this happen. You always see it being mentioned amongst the best shmups of all time, yet it’s something of a bastard to actually try for yourself.

Oddly, I actually handled a copy of it in Game once as a kid. It still puzzles me as to why they had a Japanese Saturn game on the shelves.

5. Retroid

Easiest option would be to have one old, one new release each week. Radiant Silvergun could help finance Radiant Goldgun :)