Early Killzone 2 demo only available for Gamestop pre-orders – 2 new videos

Tuesday, 6th January 2009 10:10 GMT By Mike

killzone2b.jpg

If you were expecting a pre-release demo of Killzone 2 to hit US PSN then think again, as the taster will only be available through Gamestop’s exclusive pre-order campaign.

However, a demo will be forthcoming to everyone else, but only after the game has been released, writes PS3F.

We’ve asked Sony whether a similar offer will be available for Europe.

That is not the end of this Killzone 2 news-fest, as below you can find two brand new, simply excellent looking video of this Guerilla which is due for release on Feb 27 in the US, with Europe still unconfirmed but in the same time-frame.

Enjoy.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

This has been getting so much air-time on Playr of late that I’m utterly sick of the sight of it already. :-D

I’m sure shooter fans will be almost shitting themselves in anticipation, though.

2. Robo_1

/shits/

3. SplatteredHouse

Only relevant to the US, I’d imagine. The Gamestop exclusive bonuses for LBP were made available from Official Playstation Magazine’s cover disc, in the UK – although the GoW level pack remains unavailable.
    There’s also the EU version of QORE to consider, for a potential equivalent “selective/bonus” releases platform, locally.

I continue to find the idea of publishers releasing a demo only AFTER release mystifying. I’m not convinced by arguments developers make in response, about how “you can either have the demo, or the game!” I often think they’re just trying to buy time – and besides, the demo (while it can draw a positive or negative reaction) at least shows faith and pride in the product, from the team that worked on it, and the guys tasked with its promotion.
    I don’t blame those that won’t jump, until they can try the finished game, first-hand. It’s bad if you find you bought a stinker, especially so if it’s a digital title, since you have no ability to right the error.

Although, I also find the idea for KZ2 being a game that people might umm and arr over, to be bizarre.

4. Blerk

I think you either know you want it or know you don’t want it. I can’t imagine there’ll be many people ‘on the fence’ about it.

The easy explanation for why the demo will be out later is that they’re too busy putting the effort into actually finishing the game, which is obviously preferable to them taking time out to do a demo.

5. Psychotext

I think I’d be hyped for it… but I’m so sick of FPS that I just don’t care. The masses will likely lap it up though.

6. SWiSS BOSS

If I’d have a ps3 I couldn’t wait for this…but I don’t xD

7. SplatteredHouse

For Killzone 2, a demo shouldn’t be necessary pre-release, but for lesser known games, publishers not releasing a demo until after they release the game is perhaps silly, because KZ2 has the strong (and, I feel warranted) reserves of hype and anticipation to drive initial sales. In that case, a demo later isn’t bad, because it could be a good way to further broaden appeal.
    A relatively unknown title that appears may be more likely to be viewed with suspicion, in comparison.