Rumour: Factor 5 studios to be shut?

Monday, 22nd December 2008 08:37 GMT By Mike

factor5logoa.jpg

IGN’s Matt Casamassina has published an email from an “inside source” that claims Factor 5 is to close.

From the mail:

We just learned from inside sources that developer Factor 5 has officially closed their doors as of today. That’s some pretty big news considering that those guys have been around for quite a while. It’s definitely a real shame! I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Factor 5 was reported to be in a spot of bother last week as it was rumoured that 37 staff were laid off.

More Christmas cheer for the games industry, it seems.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

:-(

I know Lair wasn’t all that, but these guys are industry old-timers.

2. Blerk

Sorry, ‘were’ industry old-timers. :-(

3. scratchy69

This never would have happened if they’d done a new Turrican game instead.

4. Blerk

They were rumoured to be doing stuff for Nintendo too.

5. scratchy69

Makes sense, they did all the Rogue Squadron stuff, innit.

6. Esha

“This never would have happened if they’d done a new Turrican game instead.”

This is so true, especially if they roped Manfred Trenz back into it.

Factor5 have been around since I was young, and I respected them for making bloody impossible games that hardened my gamer resolve.

Who’s next? Studio 3 (System 3)? If it’s Studio 3 then I’m probably going to cry. A World without the possibility of an official Last Ninja remake/continuation is a sad, sad World indeed.

Those kids think they’re special with their Ninja Gaidens, but Last Ninja was the iconic hard Ninja game, kids today’d probably bust a vein trying to get past the first stage.

I feel for kids today, they never had the chance to toss a Molotov at a gigantic, mutant sewer gator, and with the way things are going … they might never.

Er, where was I?

Oh yeah. Factor5. :( I’ll miss them.

7. Blerk

Well, two points:

1. A new Turrican game would’ve bombed hard because nobody under the age of 30 gives a shit about Turrican. Which is sad, but true.

2. System 3 are still around, but they may as well not be.

8. Esha

1. Fallout, et al? Just because it’s old doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be reinvented.

2. This is true, they’re Studio 3 now and they’re up to secretive things, so I still have faith.

9. Blerk

I can imagine them reinventing it in a Metroid Prime style, actually. But even then, it’s one more space-based FPS in a multiverse of almost identical space-based FPSes with a license that barely anyone remembers or cares about. Was Turrican even popular outside of Europe?

It’s a shame, because Turrican 2 is one of my all-time favourite games. And I’d have probably been very keen for an update. But I can certainly see why they didn’t do it.

10. G1GAHURTZ

up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,B,A

^^

A cheat for the Gameboy version of Turrican when pressed on the Start screen.

Although don’t ask me what it does, because I can’t remember…

Edit:
    I must have been thinking about something else… it was actually: A,B,B,A,B,A,A,B,A,A,B,A,A

11. fearmonkey

Very sad to see Factor 5 and Free Radical go away.
    I feel bad for anyone losing their jobs, especially during the Holidays.
    That said, I hope the CEO of Factor 5 looks back at his stupid decisions, and learns from them.
    (Leaving Nintendo, dumping on the 360 for the PS3, and
    the whole Six-axis only control crap).
    They should have went multi-console, but the promise of the uber-tech PS3 blinded him.

12. David

To be honest studios shutting even in this economic crisis is hardly sad. Games studios close the people from them move on open there own if they have the capital or go to another developer. Its how things have gone for ages. Its very rare that 1 single studio can remain open for long.

I’m sure everyone in the studio will move onto another job.

13. fearmonkey

If you like the people you work with, the enviroment
    you work in, and the job you do, then it’s a sad time.
    I have been through that more than once. It sucks.
    (If working for Factor 5 was like working for Ion Storm, well then im sure parties are being held as we speak, doubt thats the case though)