PS3 Trophy error pops up, Sony to hammer it down – eventually

Saturday, 20th December 2008 13:17 GMT By Nathan Grayson

trophiesa.jpg

According to a CVG report, PS3 Trophies’ ability to, er, do nothing in particular has run into a potentially shelf-smashing error. Apparently, after PSN users alter their PSN ID or password, Trophy data can become “corrupt.”

Should that happen, certain games will then notify players that Trophy data has failed to sync – sometimes leading to a series of looping “quit and try again” messages.

Titles like Burnout Paradise, LittleBigPlanet, Pain, and WipEout HD have fallen victim to the Trophy-gobbling glitch since October, but the recently released 2.53 firmware update failed to sweep the bug under the rug.

Fortunately, Sony community guy “MusterBuster” claimed that, “A fix is on the way, but I don’t have an ETA yet”.

If your e-life absolutely depends on a healthy, bustling Trophy case, click through the link for a “quick” fix. (Hint: it’s not quick.)

Otherwise, just remember that waiting builds character or whatever. So don’t worry; Sony’s got your back.

By Nathan Grayson

1. Johnny Cullen

MusterBuster… what a ledge.

2. Retroid

They’ve really done well integrating Trophies, haven’t they?

/Heavy sarcasm

3. warlock7

I’ve got a couple that show up in my trophy list, but when I compare my trophies to others on my friends lists, they don’t show up as completed.

4. Esha

“integrating Trophies”

If by that you mean implementing trophies, then yes, I agree. It is a bit of a botch job. The PS3 never really needed trophies, and the whole thing was a bit of a forced effort to try and draw in the XBox crowd. Entirely unnecessary.

I had hoped they’d pull the project, but it’s too late for that now, especially seeing as how they’re going to make trophies mandatory in January.

Trophies and achievements were always a cheap gimmick which detracted from the value of a game for the sole purpose of allowing loud kids to e-peen with their gamer-scores and whatnot. I can’t think of any game that had trophies or achievements that were as insane as Ratchet & Clank’s skill points (which actually required some semblance of skill and/or intelligence to acquire). Mostly it’s just “Hey, you did something in the game … something everyone is going to do (because it’s easy and part of the game-play), and you get a trophy for that!”, it was a bout of faux ego-massaging and a method to get people to buy games.

So I hate the damned things, and couldn’t care less if this particular bug never gets fixed. Sony would’ve had a better image amongst ha–err… non-casual gamers if they’d just left that idea on the drawing board, I’d say.

5. David

I never play a game for achievements I just have fun. If I get any achievements by the end that’s good but :) I never bother with achievement hunting.

6. morriss

“and the whole thing was a bit of a forced effort to try and draw in the XBox crowd. ”

I don’t agree with that. I think it was a case of “that’s a good idea, let’s do our own take on it,” as MS did with Avatars etc.

Any business who doesn’t copy good ideas will soon no longer be a business.

7. JesteR

What is that for a game on the picture?

8. fearmonkey

I think achievements are great, but they arent a reason why I play games. What I like are the achievements for doing something different and special during a game, rather than just completing a quest.
    I get more gameplay going back and getting those special achievements after Ive already beaten the game.

Im hoping we will see some Achievments that give you something special for your avatar some day. Like getting a special achievement in gears and getting a gears Logo T-shirt or a ripper gun.

9. absolutezero

Achievements are usually trumpeted as a means of getting people to play differently, or try something new. Which they sometimes do, only the person in question has read the description of the achievement and gone and done whats required to unlock it.

The internet has’nt helped at all either, it can be a nice surprise doing something silly and getting a reward for it out of no where because of a secret unlocking itself, internet loves listing every last exacting detail though just for people to rack up numbers.

10. Retroid

““integrating Trophies”

If by that you mean implementing trophies, then yes, I agree.”

I meant integrating Trophies; that’s why I wrote that :)

As in, into games (WHY ARE THERE GAMES STILL BEING RELEASED WITHOUT THEM) and into your PSN profile. If you format your drive and get your PSN nick back, they’re gone.

The whole thing just seems half-arsed.

11. f1r3storm

“What is that for a game on the picture?”

I’d like to know that, too.

12. Dean

@Retroid
    I believe that if you format the drive, next time you acquire a trophy the data will resynchronise. And you’ll have all of your trophies back on your PS3.

13. Robo_1

I’ve always given credit of the achievements system to Insomniac. The PS2 R&C games used to feature skill points, where you’d earn extra little unlocks and recognition for completing specific tasks.

Full credit to MS for building such a feature into each game though. Chasing achievements or trophy’s is a great excuse to go for that second play through.

There’s been many rumours that Sony were going to start offering real world rewards for Trophies. Personally I think that would be a master stroke. They’d have to re-double their efforts to close any loop holes which could lead people to cheating trophies out of games, but I imagine that if the rewards weren’t completely meaningless, it could have an impact on people choosing which multi platform game to buy.

14. Syrok

@firestorm et al.:
    That’s just the prototype of the trophy system, not a game.

15. el Croux

Is there a way to turn off Trophy and Achievement notifications on the PS3 and Xbox? If so I’d like to do so when I eventually get either console.

Also, can you turn off those mood-breaking notifications you get which tell you which annoying prick has signed into Xbox Live/PSN or worst of all, which one has collected their OWN boring ‘e-point-credit-BADGE/e-Rep-enhancment-TOKEN’, which to ‘acheive’ they’ve simply had to kill 10,000 of the same enemy in a certain way along with trading in their dignity?

CAN YOU?!

16. absolutezero

17. Psychotext

Yeah, you can turn them off on the 360.

18. Michael O'Connor

“The whole idea of scrambling, wide-eyed and frothing at the mouth after utterly irrelevant ‘e-points’ pointlessly shoe-horned into perfectly fine single player games just puts me off completely.”

Nobody’s FORCING you to get them.

19. Blerk

Achievements are great! I love them! And I thought I wouldn’t. But I do. So give them a chance if you haven’t already – they’ll hook you without you even noticing.

20. LeD

Blerk is such a 360 fanboy! ;-)

21. G1GAHURTZ

Why do you even bother playing games!?

You sound like you’d be better off sticking to books.

22. G1GAHURTZ

Achievements are brilliant.

Just ask anyone who’s got the Mile High achievement on COD4 (ahem… me!) just what it meant when they unlocked it and you’ll see what I mean.

23. Michael O'Connor

“You sound like you’d be better off sticking to books.”

What’s wrong with books? :(

24. Blerk

Books are awesome!

“Achievement Unlocked: Book Read.”

25. G1GAHURTZ

There’s nothing wrong with books.

Books are 10/10, no doubt.

I just meant that he dosn’t need to worry about really ‘offensive’ things like points, achievements and pop-up messages telling him that he did something right in a book.

26. Blerk

Unless it’s a pop-up book.

27. G1GAHURTZ

Or a Fighting Fantasy book.

Obviously, he should steer well clear of those.

28. el Croux

“For the record, no, you can’t turn them off, but you can turn off the notifications of getting them.”

Excellent.

I really don’t like all that notification stuff, because it breaks immersion. Even a simple thing like the font being completely different to what the designers have decided the game should use annoys me.

It’s the gaming equivelant of one of those annoying stickers you get on a CD cover or the huge garish MTV graphics covering the edges of an otherwise brilliant Chemical Brothers video.