Source: Microsoft is funding Crackdown 2 development and Ruffian start-up

Friday, 19th December 2008 10:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crackdown.jpg

VG247 has is on good authority that Microsoft is funding Scottish start-up Ruffian Games specifically to develop Crackdown 2.

We’ve been told this morning that a significantly-sized group of people resigned from Realtime Worlds approximately two weeks ago to form the new company.

Realtime Worlds has steadfastly refused this morning to give any information on the individuals that left.

Ruffian came to light this morning after Gamasutra posted a link to a Flickr set of members of the fledgling firm look at office space in Dundee.

Crackdown lead designer Billy Thomson is involved with Ruffian, as is Xen Group long-timer, Gaz Liddon. Xen provided physics, art and other resources for the original game.

Why Microsoft has decided to go it alone on the sequel is unknown.

The news is no real surprise. Microsoft dropped a heavy hint recently that something was moving forward with a much-wanted sequel, with Xbox Live’s director of programming, Larry Hryb telling MGS boss Phil Spencer in a podcast, “I’m here to tell you on behalf of the community, I want – we need – another Crackdown.

“That’s all I’m going to say, so you don’t have to confirm for deny anything. I’m just saying we want it.”

Spencer replied: “Yes, Crackdown’s one of my favourites. I’ll leave it at that.”

Microsoft UK was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

Crackdown 2! We are, quite literally, living the dream.

1. morriss

Innit! Get the fuck in!!!

2. pleasant_cabbage

Nice!
    Don’t: put in a contrived story, needless characters and filler side missions
    Do: put in a few toys, powers, aircrafts and more multiplayer larks.

3. patlike

*endzone dance*

4. Blerk

In honour of this announcement, I shall download the Crackdown demo tonight.

5. Sikamikanico

I loved the original. Bring on the sequel!

6. Blerk

If this turns out to be true, what will happen to Microsoft’s relationship with RTW, though? Enticing a bunch of their developers to leave and start up on their own by dangling money in front of them is hardly a friendly thing to do.

7. bloke

“A spokesperson told us on the phone that doing so would be “against the data protection act,” and declined to comment in any way.”

If they were going to take the piss like that, they could have at least gone the whole hog and said it was down to Health and Safety…. :-)

8. Whizzo

Nah it’s a breach of the Corn Laws isn’t it? ;-)

9. OJ1984

As long as they keep the announcer I’ll be happy.

“I can see my house from here” while standing at sea level!

And more orbs = GOTY

10. patlike

“That’s the spirit.”

11. Retroid

“How many times do I have to tell you, agent? DO. NOT. SHOOT. INNOCENT. CIVILIANS!”

\o/

12. Robo_1

Great news, really can’t wait to get stuck into it :)

13. OJ1984

“ARMOUR!”

14. evilashchris

Blerk, don’t download the demo, I HATED the demo but I fell in love with the full game at a mates house so much it made me buy a 360. The first game is only buttons now anyway, and it’s about time you got something co-opable :D

15. Blerk

Oh noes – teh dilemma! :-D

I don’t have a Gold account, so co-op is out of the question. Unless it’s the sort of game that a six-year-old can play.

16. morriss

It’ll cost a tenner these days. Just buy it and stfu!

;)

17. morriss

“This is what you’re trained for, agent. Killing freaks!”

18. Blerk

I put it on my Christmas list, so someone might’ve bought it for me already. I’ll pick it up after Christmas if they haven’t. Comet were doing it for a fiver the other week, iirc.

19. evilashchris

Well you still have to do what morriss said Blerk :D

Seriously it’s like Mario64 with rocket launchers, and twice as much fun.

20. Blerk

Ouch – don’t say that. I hate Mario 64! :-D

21. morriss

One review said:

Even at budget price there’s not much that any self respecting Xbox 360 owner will be missing other than a few pretty explosions and half a day spent marveling at spring from building to building, the novelty of which rubs off pretty damn quickly.

What fucking dick wrote that.

And Blerk, it’s like Mario as it’s a 3d collect em up at heart. With heat seaking rocket launchers.

Standing at the top of the agency tower is one of the defining moments of this gen.

22. evilashchris

NOBODY hates Mario 64!

/Stick fingers in ears.

/Stamps feet.

LA LA LA LA CAN’T HEAR YOU! LA LA LA LA!

23. GordonR

@ morriss

No, standing on top of the Agency Tower and then JUMPING OFF IT INTO AN OCEAN THAT SEEMS HUNDREDS OF MILES BELOW is one of the defining moments of this gen.

@ Blerk. Ditto on the demo not doing the game justice. The demo is just the first few missions, and the game doesn’t hit its frankly awesome stride until you’ve raised your abilities and are leaping majestically from skyscraper to skyscraper and hurling cars at bad guys with giddy abandon.

God, I loved Crackdown…

24. g00nerz

That voice over guy ruled all! “Your supposed to be helping the police agent, not killing them”… haah.

Loved it, played it for ages. Dare I say best game on the 360 in the time I had one (a tie with Gears 1). Then the box died and it was all over. Sob. Crackdown singlehandely destroyed my 1st Xbox. Way too much for the poor 360 to take with all that shit going on.

I’d love a multiplat sequel but that ain’t happening now. Guess I’ll have to make do with Infamous.

25. Morrius

I look forward to the inevitable Halo ODST demo. Actually, I’m just being sardonic, I don’t look forward to it at all.

26. morriss

I am. Although Bungie don’t do demos

27. airdom

Crackdown 2…bring it on!!! this is gonna be great!

28. mightyhokie

Fantastic game. I’m stoked!