Core gamers have “no clue” we’re in recession, says Pachter

Friday, 19th December 2008 07:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

recessiona.jpg

Speaking to the AP, Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter’s claimed core gamers will keep on buying no matter what’s going on in the global disaster that is “the economy.”

“They may be wealthy, they may be poor, but they have no clue we are in a recession,” he said.

And retail knows it. Well, Gamestop’s boss does, anyway.

“If the core gamers and the avid gamers are with us through these very unpredictable times, that’s a very, very good sign for us,” said R Richard Fontaine, GameStop’s chairman.

More optimism through the link.

1. Redh3lix

Very true. What better way to save money that stay inside playing on my PS3/XBox :D

2. Blerk

I think that’s a pretty rude thing to say. He makes it sound as though ‘core gamers’ only care about games and have little idea of what’s going on in the world around them.

Is there really anyone who doesn’t realise what’s going on at the minute? I’m sure they’ll still continue to buy games, but that doesn’t necessarily make them ignorant.

3. Whizzo

There’s a recession? Wow I hadn’t noticed. Pretty insulting bullshit from Pachter there.

4. onyxbox

I second everything Blerk just said.

5. patlike

I think what he means is that “gamers” will go on buying games despite the fact things are rocky economically. I’m not sure he means you don’t watch the news :D

6. Blerk

We demand an apology!

7. patlike

That’ll be me sensationalising headlines again.

8. morriss

Sensationalist!!

9. Retroid

I have to step over the corpses of ex-banking staff to get my games. Which is worrying, as I get them delivered to my house! :o

10. Esha

Ouch!

So … who wants to call themselves hardcore now? Hands up! Anyone, anyone at all?

“I’m a hardcore gamer!”
    “So … you’re a clueless spotted spod who barely ever leaves his room, doesn’t watch television, doesn’t move five inches away from his console unless it’s to buy another console game, and doesn’t use this Internet thing for anything else than swearing about game scores in online forums? Because, you know, that’s what Pachter says. Everyone respects him, he has to be right!”

We’re going to need a new word. :/

11. Syrok

I suggest “Enthusiast”

12. morriss

I’m a core gamer and I have every idea of what it’s like being in a recession.

13. jeremycafe

This is bulls*

If this is the case, then why is EA cutting a ton of staff? Why is Midway closing studios, why is MS closing studios? All across the industry people are losing jobs in “cost cutting” measurements.

The industry is already effected. I think its a joke to see these people come out and say its not.

14. Robo_1

It’s either poorly worded or incredibly condescending.

15. cachucha

core gamers are tards? wait what

16. Truk

“core gamers are tards? wait what”

/looks at game forums

Sounds about right. :-D

17. airdom

Na, he’s exactly right i think. I have a full time job…i know there is a recession. but fuck, i’ll pretty much spend money on games anytime, recession or not. If theres a game i want, i buy it. it’s as simple as that.

i dont know why he says gamers don’t know we are in a recession…pretty much the whole freakin’ world knows.

18. mightyhokie

I’ve decided not to participate in this recession. When the gov or news comes out and says ‘we are in a recession’ everyone stops spending money and guess what happens…a recession.

I still have a job, jackhole. I can afford my hobbies. If I don’t want to squirrel my money away I don’t have too. At least until Obama tells me how, where, and when i must spend my money (usually in the form of taxes).

This guy reallllllly comes across like a jerk.

19. airdom

i though Obama came across as a hero in the states?

20. wickedman

@ airdom You are a tard,get your head of your ass and breathe, moron. 8-)

21. mightyhokie

56 million people didn’t vote for him.

Most Americans are rather upset with all these bailout/government takeovers. Socialism is a scary thing to us, the vast, vast majority anyway. Everything run by the government with the exception of NASA and the Military is shit taped together with bureaucracy, and even they waste billions of dollars each year in bureaucracy as well.

As for Obama, well there are quite a few things about him that are bothersome to most Americans, such as the lack of any experience, the socialist tendencies, the racist pasture of the church he has been a member of for the last 20 years, William Aires the terrorist who is his friend that he lied about being as close to as he is, his ties to incredibly corrupt politicians in Chicago, and then there is raising taxes on ALL Americans (he says ‘just the rich’ as if that matters). There are many more reasons.
    He became president because people were so tired of Bush and McCain is a moderate, which doesn’t inspire anyone. The press here was uber, super, unbelieveably biased towards getting Obama elected. Now that he is they are all coming out saying ‘he has these shady ties’ and ‘who is he really’…shit they should have asked BEFORE he was elected president. If you even hinted that you didn’t want to vote for him you were called a racist, which is of course crap.
    It isn’t like people hate him, it is just that he is an empty suit, a snake oil salesman. He just got his learners permit to drive a car and has now been handed the keys to the fastest Formula 1 race car on earth. It is scary.
    There are people who love him no matter what he does or says. That is just the way of the world. I can only speak for myself and for most of the people I know.

So, no, he isn’t a hero. He hasn’t done anything to be called a hero.

And, oh, when I said ‘this guy reallllly comes across like a jerk’, I actually meant Michael Pachter, not Obama.

Sorry for the tirade, but you asked. hehe

22. theevilaires

mightydokie let me get this straight… you’re one of those keep america white racist pricks who acts like he isn’t because he fears if the word gets out he’ll get his red neck broke?….ok :P Hey mightydokie i got some news for you americas gonna burn because your beloved dubya bush fuck the whole worlds economy up.Hey pachter instead of stating the obvious,state who’s fault it is to mightydokie. I got a feeling the people in his small little all american town isn’t telling him the whole truth :P

23. morriss

I like how one man can speak for a nation of millions. It’s very impressive.

24. Michael O'Connor

“As long as hard-core gamers have a job, they will continue to buy games,” added IDC analyst Billy Pidgeon.”

- As long as movie-buffs have a job, they will continue to buy films and movies.
    - As long as stamp-collectors have a job, they will continue to buy stamps.
    - As long as fitness orientated people have a job, they will continue to buy things that make keep them healthy (not Wii Fit)
    - As long as otakus have a job (an oxymoron, I know), they’ll buying smutty doujinshi ans shitty cartoons starring lolita-kids driving giant mecha robots.

What exactly is Patcher’s point? The guy is usually smarter than this…

25. theevilaires

morriss said: I like how one man can speak for a nation of millions. It’s very impressive.

Are you talking to me morriss because if you are i don’t like how a homo can speak for millions when they say PS3 sucks. it’s not impressive

26. morriss

I wasn’t talking to you, no.

27. mightyhokie

theevilares…you are a fucking retard. i never said i liked bush. you obviously can’t read. i guess those socialist schools over in england are really doing the students justice. perhaps you can have one of your smarter friends explain what ‘I can only speak for myself and for most of the people I know.’ means. and america burn? well, three areas did on September 11 when filthy subhumans attacked us and murdered 3000 innocent lives…of ALL COLORS. of course, i’m sure america is to blame for that, too, or better yet, the evil george bush. i don’t live in a ‘small little american town’, either. then again, it wouldn’t matter to you. you clearly can’t conceive that someone would have a legitimate ideological difference with someone else. it has to be race. again, just so you understand what I mean, you are a fucking retard. go back to your happy socialist utopia, jackass.

28. Retroid

….. fuck’s sake, children!

29. Squa11

Recessions make Jesus cry
    lol :P

30. theevilaires

mightydokie cried: blah blah jackass we got attacked

theevilaires said: ahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!

dude if you only knew the truth about your precious america.
    3000 “innocent?” lives… just because they didn’t see it coming doesn’t make them innocent, no ones innocent.What about the 10′s of thousands of middle eastern people who’ve died because of america not just during your fake war, but before it. America has their dirty hands in everything.i’m tired of americans always feeling like they’re the victims.And why don’t you go read your own post you sound like a bitter republican who got spanked by the democrats.Oh BTW i like your term of all colors.When did people start becoming blue,purple,or green.If you saw a black person would you call him colored.Would you say to your friend “hey jimbo i saw one of those yellow (asian) people round town”.WTF is this the 1940′s.I believe your ignorant ass meant of all RACES! P.S. Republicans suck ass!

31. Michael O'Connor

Can’t disagree there.

But lets not get into politics. *laughs* That’ll just go on forever…

YAY VIDEOGAMES!