Verbinski signs on for Second Life movie

Wednesday, 17th December 2008 20:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

secondlifea.jpg

According to this Variety report, Gore Verbinsky’s signed on to direct a movie based on the exploits of a Second Life player.

The film is to be based on a Wall Street Journal article about the MMO and its detrimental impact on the real lives of players.

The article by Alexandra Alter focuses on a married man who spends as many as 20 hours a day on a computer, existing through an avatar who is a thriving, musclebound entrepreneur. In reality, he is a diabetic, chain-smoking 53-year-old.

Linden Labs will be pleased.

More through there.

1. airdom

This has ”God damn awful” writter all over it. at least Uwe Boll didn’t get this hahaha.

2. airdom

*written

3. ElfShotTheFood

Why did you put up a screenshot of Home?

4. airdom

that image is far from being taken from ”home”…

5. Gamoc

Yes, Home looks massively better than Second Life and that picture.

6. Syrok

It’s probably not more fun though. :)

7. Gamoc

Hold on, I hate Second Life. I tried it out and I was bored almost constantly. The only thing it has over Home is the ability to fly.

8. airdom

and see flying penises haha

9. Michael O'Connor

“The only thing it has over Home is the ability to fly.”

Plus… user-created and scriptable objects, a mature userbase, lots of actual content, stable servers, a vast search system, capacity to make real money and profit…

“and see flying penises haha”

The “flying penises” thing gets old very fast. It was an isolated incident that occurred years ago.

10. Gamoc

It also costs money to use almost all of those things. Besides, I don’t want to make stuff in Home, it’s NOT Second Life. If I wanted Second Life I’d…well, I’d just play Second Life.

11. Michael O'Connor

“It also costs money to use almost all of those things.”

Actually, everything I listed there bar the last one in free.

There’s also plenty of places on there to do fun stuff for free, with no hidden costs, as well as plenty of free clothes, items and accessories.

Just like Home.

You *can* buy things in SL, but you don’t *have* to in order to enjoy it.

Just like Home.

“If I wanted Second Life I’d…well, I’d just play Second Life.”

I’m not arguing about whether you want to play SL or not. I’m simply pointing out the inaccuracy of the statement that “the only thing it has over Home is the ability to fly.”

The one thing SL has over Home is a mature fanbase. Watching virtual avatars sleazing after virtual women constantly puts me off Home a lot simple because it’s impossible to avoid. Right now, I’m just sitting and waiting for stuff to come out, so I actually have something to do on it.

Contrary to regularly ignorant claims of flying penises and rampant perverts in SL, you never actually see that stuff on there unless you deliberately go out of your way to find a located targeted at that kinda audience.

It also helps that most of the people there are capable of typing a sentence in proper English.

Having used SL regularly for almost a year to keep in contact with a English-based bookclub, I can tell you that that sort of thing *doesn’t* happen in SL either. And on the rare occasion it does, its treated with quite severely with bans.

And those “clubs”? They cost about 2 cents to make, and have no restrictions after they’re made. Complete group wide emails and contact.

Home has plenty of potential. Then again, so does the PS3. Wake me up when Home actually starts using that potential.

12. Esha

This is odd, except for one paragraph, I’m inclined to completely agree with Michael. Perhaps it’s my PC nerd side showing through, which is still stronger than my PS3 loyalty, despite everything.

Anyway, I said one paragraph, no?

“What bothers me most here is that Sony will spend so much time completely wiping out levels in LittleBigPlanet because they have a copyrighted graphic or something so simple in them, yet female gamers can barely walk into Home without being whored upon by a dozen hormonally challenged geeks, and nothing is being done about it.”

That one.

LittleBigPlanet is a fully released game, thus it gets administration coverage. There have been some really horrible lawsuits in the past, just because a company has done something a bit similar to another company, so I can understand Sony wanting to distance themselves from that. I mean, that is completely fair, isn’t it? My favourite example is when Wolverine clones started appearing in City of Heroes, Marvel’s lawyers almost collectively popped a vein. That was pretty bad for Cryptic at the time, and that kind of thing could just as easily happen to Sony.

Moral of the story: Anyone involved in business is going to be invariably greedy. Doy. So suing a company for even having a tiny bit of your IP misappropriated is fair game.

As for Home though, it doesn’t have moderators yet, which might be something to do with the fact that it’s in beta. LBP was in beta at one point too, you know? When LBP was in beta, Sony stuck out those levels just for the sake of testing. Home is still in beta, so they’re concentrating their resources more on actually developing the experience at the moment more than maintaining it.

So why was LBP moderated when Home isn’t? There’s your answer. At least as far as I see it.

The rest of what you had to say is air-tight, though.

Also: Stop almost convincing me to go back and spend some time in SL again, I’ve spent enough time there already!