Harrison: I want to prove Kotick wrong over Ghostbusters

Wednesday, 17th December 2008 13:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ghostbustersa21.jpg

Phil Harrison’s told MCV he wants to prove Bobby Kotick was wrong to dump Terminal Reality’s Ghostbusters when Activision merged with Blizzard.

“What Bobby, perhaps unhelpfully said, was that those games were franchises which wouldn’t make $100m of revenue and generate sequels,” said the Atari boss.

“If that’s his benchmark, then fine – and we’d love to aspire to the same benchmarks. But you know what? I would love to turn Ghostbusters into a $100m franchise, just to prove him wrong.”

Atari picked up the action game in November.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I’d be interested to see just how popular this game actually is when it gets released.

I was a massive Ghostbusters fan when I was younger, but there hasn’t really been much from the franchise for ages.

I just wonder if the young kids of today will care about or even know what Ghostbusters is.

It’s an 80′s/early 90′s brand, so how would it fare in 2009?

2. pjmaybe

I think it hits enough of a sweet spot to catch on with the “kidult” market. Loads of people way too young to remember the film in cinemas still love it. It’s a classic.

The fact that this does look a little bit more like a proper film homage than just some naff bolted together licence, and the fact that they somehow got the original actors involved should lift it above the dreck a fair bit.

Connected but not – but how did Scarface sell? See there’s a game that I thought would only appeal to people of a certain age but it seemed to do OK for a film licence?

3. Tonka

Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

I do bite my thumb, sir.

Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

Is the law of our side, if I say ay?

No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.

4. morriss

I’d love to live on Tonka’s planet for a while. Must be great.

5. tenthousandgothsonacid

“Do you bite your thumb at us”

It’s from romeo and juliet innit…

It’s the equivalent of flicking the V’s in this day and age.

6. airdom

Absolutely Love the movies, i have the box set! but i’m not soooo sure about that game though. =/

7. Michael O'Connor

- It’s based on one of the most popular film franchises of the last 20 years, one which is hugely popular amongst gamers and non-gamers alike.

- It’s got the entire backing of the original cast, including Bill Murray, whose has been reluctant to return to the franchise for decades.

- The script written by the same people, and is canonically recognised as the “third” instalment of the franchise by the writers and fans alike.

So it’s managing to appeal to fans of the franchise, gamers, and non-gamers alike. How could this *not* sell by the truckload?

8. airdom

by being bad/overhyped?

until i play a demo of this, i’m not gonna be convinced.

9. Whizzo

“We came, we saw, we kicked its ass.”

Is probably something Phil wants to be saying when it comes out.

Don’t mess it up Atari or there’ll be trouble!

10. morriss

:D

11. Michael O'Connor

“by being bad/overhyped?

until i play a demo of this, i’m not gonna be convinced.”

I apologise profusely for not being a needlessly jaded and overly cynical gamer. Won’t happen again. *hangs his head in shame*

12. airdom

sure. i’ve got tons of games of different types, so i don’t really think im jaded.

the concept looks cool and all, BUT…i hope it turns out ok