Reeves: Games trade is not recession-proof

Tuesday, 16th December 2008 15:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

davidreeves.jpg

SCEE president David Reeves has said that the game industry is not recession-proof, and that it’s “difficult to explain” why PlayStation products are achieving European targets.

“From our point of view which is in the videogames division, in PlayStation, it’s not recession-proof, of course,” he told Dutch TV station RTL.

“I don’t think any industry is, and eventually we may see a downturn.”

Reeves said that SCEE’s products are holding steady across Europe, and that much-cited recession-related factors surrounding the games industry of late may be causing the trade to be suffering less than other sectors.

“For the moment we’re seeing that our sales for both hardware and software are hitting projections in most countries in Europe,” he added.

“Difficult to explain: it could be that parents don’t want to disappoint their children in buying PlayStations, or whether it’s the competition as well… or maybe it’s because people are spending more time at home and this is a safe haven, rather than going out to restaurants or spending money on buying cars and fridges and things like that.

“We seem to find that in timres of recession that people tend to stay at home, but they still want to be entertained.”

The exec went on to assure that there will be no scaling back of SCEE staff “at all,” despite Sony Corp recently announcing 8,000 job cuts.

Well worth a watch.

1. Blerk

Well, they could be hitting their targets because they set such low targets this year.

But it is probably Europe’s fault that we haven’t had a PS3 price cut. If they’d just stop buying the things then perhaps Sony would have to do something about it.

2. Robo_1

Interesting interview that, and he’s right about the strong Yen. Whilst it may be crippling the export side of their business, and harming their ability to price PS3 competitively, their R&D costs should be nicely bolstered. His thoughts on the Japanese ethos were also quite interesting, and the car analogy is a good one.

I maintain that Sony will come out of these “dark days” stronger than before. They’ve taken a much needed bloody nose this gen, and with Kraaaazy Ken no longer calling the shots, I think we’ll see excellent products with PSP2 and PS4.

3. trav

while Nintendo continue to laugh high atop their money mountain.

It’s a long way down though.

4. SilentLoner

Personally the ps3 is an excellent console but no one seems to know that to advert saturation by microsoft.

5. jeremycafe

“#
    SilentLoner said:

December 16th, 2008 at 6:05 pm

I can’t say I agree. I still have yet to purchase a game for my ps3. I download demos all the time and they just don’t feel right to me. The controls just seem to be off some how. It will continue to be a blu-ray player for me. I love it for that..but for games..I don’t think I will ever buy one for it anymore. I originally got it in anticipation for FF 13. But now thats its coming out on 360, im gonna get it for that. The achievements, friends list, overall interface of the 360 is more appealing.