Best NPD graphs ever show Wii dominance in glorious Technicolor

Tuesday, 16th December 2008 07:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

npdgrapha.jpg

Chart Get’s published some awesome graphs on November’s NPD data, involving colour, lines that go up and down, and data for the past 12 months as well as the last set.

Matt Matthews – raise your game. Perfect forum ammunition.

1. mart

That’s more like it. A little garish perhaps, could do with a little more subtlety, some more delicate tones and elegant typography, but definitely a step in the right direction.

2. Shatner

From their “About” page:

“Chart Get! – a professional approach to gaming sales data presentation. Here you will find up-to-date charts, analysis, and discussion of video game hardware and software sales.”

I call bullshit. Free-hosting on blogspot.com is a bit of a giveaway to your ‘professional’ credentials.

It’s also a sad indictment that fan-sites focusing purely on numbers should find themselves so popular. Considering the breadth of the medium and what it offers and combined with the fact that statistics can (and do) tell any story that the person wants to present it’s just a shame that the real point of gaming is being so widely missed by those that claim to understand it most.

3. G1GAHURTZ

lol. Call BS on what!?

The numbers here look exactly the same as the ones that were released before, so what’s the problem??

Oooh, you’re hosting your website for free, rather than paying for it! Your stats must be FAKE! (even though they are exactly the same as the official NPD ones, and the ones on gamasutra.)

4. Shatner

OK G1Gster. Lay off the sugar and give that poor shift key a break.

Some kid learned how to do charts in OpenOffice (because if he can’t afford proper hosting, he sure as hell can’t afford a proper Office app), combined with their lowest-common-denominator logic and presentation skills and is seeking validation by proclaiming ‘professionalism’.

In my experience, professionalism speaks for itself. If you have to point it out to others then you lack it.

Still, bright colours and exclamation marks. I can see how those are important to some people. Right G1Glypoops?

5. G1GAHURTZ

So what’s your problem with the website?

Why are you moaning now?

So some 14 year old made a website with graphs based on ACTUAL STATISTICS.

Where’s the BS??

6. Blerk

To be fair to the poor lad, he says it’s a ‘professional approach to sales data’. He doesn’t actually claim to be a professional, he just means he doesn’t post pictures of Picard facepalming under the PS3 figures.

7. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

8. evilashchris

I want to see a graph of Shatner’s blood pressure each time he visits VG247.

9. Psychotext

I like PantherLotus’s charts… if only because they’re far more bubbly and colourful than anyone else’s. :D

10. deftangel

His charts are actually pretty popular. I’m sure they were somewhere else a few weeks ago so maybe he’s moved to blogspot because he can’t afford the bandwidth.

If you’re going to ping an unprofessional cowboy-esque approach have a go at VGChartz!

11. Retroid

@Blerk: perhaps he should, based on those! :D

Some of the other stats look interesting, and again, tally with what I’ve seen elsewhere for numbers.

12. Shatner

I regularly do. But it’s funny how people LOVE any figures that go with their bias and HATE any figures that don’t.

Why, I’ve witnessed the resident armchair analyst here simply refuse to believe ACTUAL STATISTICS that he didn’t agree with.

And all my original points still stand – even without the support the rest of the usual suspect have indirectly provided. Much appreciated though, you guys are nothing if not transparent and predictable.

13. Shatner

Oh, before G1Gitty has a sugar-infused aneurysm (perish the thought) and because subtlety doesn’t work on the obtuse I’d like to spell it out to you that my USE OF CAPS was sarcastic.

If you realised that without having it needed explaining to you then you’ve earned one internet point. Congrats!

14. Blerk

The only ‘actual statistics’ I’ve ever seen Psycho question are ones which come from the console manufacturers themselves. Which are, let’s face it, usually massaged to provide the result they want it to provide. Regardless of who they are.

Stats based on NPDs, etc. you can’t argue with. Because they’re independent and therefore don’t have an agenda. And as far as I can tell, those graphs appear to be based on that type of data.

I can’t quite understand why you’re upset about the site, Shat. Just because something is free doesn’t automatically make it shit or wrong.

15. Psychotext

I wouldn’t bother Blerk. He’s off in his own little world again.

16. G1GAHURTZ

I should change my username to Patrick Stuart.

He was a much better captain.

Ain’t that right Sport Billy??

17. morriss

“The only ‘actual statistics’ I’ve ever seen Psycho question are ones which come from the console manufacturers themselves. Which are, let’s face it, usually massaged to provide the result they want it to provide.”

Although to be fair, he simply accepts Nintendo’s own claims of how much they are making on each console. But still, no-one’s perfect.

18. Shatner

“I can’t quite understand why you’re upset about the site, Shat.”

Who said I was upset? I just refute any claims to professionalism it makes based on what the site offers.

My final point still stands though. ;)

19. Blerk

Nintendo massage ‘down’, though. To stop us from storming their castle with flaming torches and pitchforks.

20. Blerk

You certainly seem upset about something. If that’s not upset then I dread to think what upset is actually like.

And my point stands too – they only claim to have a ‘professional approach’. They don’t claim to actually be professionals.

21. Psychotext

Technically morriss I only accept that they’re making money on each console. They’ve never said how much.

22. morriss

That’s fair enough, mate.

23. Shatner

If the output of their site is an example of a professional approach to interpreting figures supplied by other people then I refute that too.

Maybe I just have higher standards than people that use day-glo colours and exclamation marks.

And I maintain that if you’re genuinely professional at something then the work speaks for itself. If you need to make a claim to professionalism then it’s because you’re not.

24. ruckus

Chart Get! About page:

“Chart Get! – Your home for video game sales news and data presentation. Here you will find up-to-date sales news, charts, analysis, and discussion of video game hardware and software sales.

Commitments:
    1. Our data is real: Chart Get! only uses publicly available data produced by professional outside sources by qualified market research firms, like Media-Create, Famitsu, and the NPD unless otherwise specified. We do not pretend to conduct market research only to pass off others’ data as our own. All in-house estimations and extrapolations will be clearly marked.

2. All data and charts are cited: Every chart posted on this site will be cited and sourced with the data’s origin unless produced by an outside source which will be credited. Chart Get! will never use other’s data and pass it off as original.

3. Opinions and Analyses will be labeled as such: While Chart Get! acknowledges that bias is a natural part of the human experience, it is the objectivity of cold, hard numbers that reveals truth. In that spirit the reader will be explicitly warned when entering the territory of analysis and/or opinion.

External Use:
    It IS ok to use these charts on your own sites. Please trackback to this site and post in the comments section of the posted chart when you do so. Alteration of charts is strictly prohibited.

Enjoy!
    Chart Get!”

I’d be so outraged too Shatner, it’s like some kid just posted mein kampf or something.
    …plus it doesn’t seem to have your “a professional approach…” knickers in a twist bit anyways.