Guitar Hero outsells Rock Band in the US

Monday, 15th December 2008 13:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

guitarheroiii7.jpg

UBS analyst Ben Schachter’s that Guitar Hero outsold Rock Band by more than 1 million units in America last month, Gamespot reports.

Over 1.7 million Guitar Hero games of all versions and formats were sold in the US in November, of which 978,000 were copies of the latest version, Guitar Hero World Tour. This compares with 628,452 copies of Rock Band and Rock Band 2.

However, Guitar Hero sales were down 25 percent on November last year, versus an increase of 65 percent for Rock Band.

Combined sales of both games fell 12 percent compared to 2007.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. evilashchris

Rock Band is 17.4 percent better than Guitar hero, at least.

2. anasui

is it? I’m still trying to decide which one to buy

3. evilashchris

Yeah, I’ve played both a fair bit and Rock Band wins by a mile. Up to you which instruments you get mind, they are a matter of taste.

4. morriss

I’ve never played one. I enjoyed GHIII, but It quickly got to the point of where I simply did not want to be able to hit keys really, really, really fast in time to some music I only half liked.

5. airdom

@anasui

Seriously, Get Rock Band 2 instead

im gonna go with evilashchris on this one, RB2 wins by a mile. GH World tour is a total let down (and continues to be a total sell-out thanks to activision!). Guitar hero is getting old, while i feel that RB is staying fresh, and that steady input of songs(more than 500 now), makes its pretty damn obvious what you wanna get, because you have so much choice! sure you gotta buy the songs, but if you like them, why not!

6. anasui

you boys are really convincing me. And if I wanted to play drums/vocals only..?

7. airdom

mmmm, i’d still say Rock Band 2

8. Deanzor

Agreed. It’s all about Rock Band. The software kills GH: WT stone dead. GH drumming is more like actual drumming, but Rock Band drumming is like playing a game of drumming. The GH hardware is more robust yes, but if you use it to play RB if feels weird.

I thought the dream combo might be RB game and GH hardware, but it’s not. GH the game is dated as hell. And no improvised fills in the drumming kills if for me.

How the games reviewed so similarly is beyond me. Although I haven’t tried the music creation stuff on GH. Because it is of no interest.

9. airdom

personally, i fuckin’ love the rock band guitar. it feels great! and gotta mention that NO CLICKING sound is great