November NPD: Wii sells over 2 million consoles to blitz hardware race

Friday, 12th December 2008 06:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wiia1.jpg

Wii sold over 2 million units last month, according to NPD figures, while 360 outsold PS3 by more than 2:1.

DS beat 1.5 million units. It’s all go. Figures in full below.

• PlayStation 2 – 206K
  • PlayStation 3 – 378K
  • PSP – 421K
  • Xbox 360 – 836K
  • Wii – 2.04 million
  • DS – 1.57 million

1. Mad-elph

I think the 360 made some good gains, but the PS3 will still be positioned to take a bigger share. After a cut in manufacturing, a few more top notch titles and a price cut will entice even those early 360 adopters to come over in frustration and the flood gates of PS2 users ready to take the plunge will happen. I really think this is the last year we will need to keep track of the PS2.

Once they get through the spring I bet you there will be PS2 games on PSN.

Things are looking up, despite the 360 growth and Wii madness.

Can we get an idea of how much MS makes from subscription compared to how much they lose on their consoles? I mean I think they are factoring a loss of over $80 per (random guess) unit cause they will make $400 back in Live fees down the line.

This is something I find ridiculous when people debate cost of the system… but I digress.

2. Hero of Canton

Sorry, it’s too late for the ‘fanboy of the year’ award.

3. morriss

And still it only comes third in the software charts with Wii Play. Terrible.

4. G1GAHURTZ

A poem for Mad-elph:

Mad-elph
    Mad-elph
    Please stop and take a look at yourself
    You don’t seem to be in good mental health
    Perhaps
    Oh, perhaps
    Your username would be more fitting as LUNATIC-elph!

5. Esha

You’ve discovered a great basis of income, Gigz. I’m sure that many people would pay you to never again try your hand at poetry.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Esha, there’s no need to be so unfriendly
    I do laugh at this message you send me
    As your words are just pointless and empty
    And I know you are just full of envy

7. Psychotext

:D

8. Blerk

Over 2 million! Fuck. Ing. Hell.

9. Mad-elph

So at twice the price the PS3 sells half the units and its a complete loss? You can make fun of me all you want, but its the same revenue in the end. The question remains, how profitable is each console? How much are MS taking as a hit to have a $200 console? Really we need figures on this.

I just wanted to point out that a more sales will keep it going, its sad that their sales are down, I agree, but software is up and thats the only thing they are making money on these days.

So what will happen when the price drops? Will users pick up the PS3 to play the games they missed on the 360? I don’t know, but I bet a few thousand will. I believe its easier to move an Xbox user to the PS3, than the other way round. Personally I hate the 360 controller, its the most awkward thing I’ve tired to use since the N64. I just dislike the feel of it in my hands, it inspire no confidence.

10. G1GAHURTZ

Mad-elph, you must think we’re insane
    I know you’re just trying to explain
    Alas! no need… I can feel your pain;
    You must have “Sony-Boy!” tatooed on your brain

11. Mad-elph

you can flame what I claim,
    but the truth will remain.
    That no matter my name,
    I simply like to game.
    Whether it be from Japan,
    or made in MS land.
    I play games for fun,
    I fear Ballmer and run.
    For I will not be scared,
    away from a system that cared.
    It raised me from youth,
    and always will be truth.
    No fanboy feelings i doth keep,
    For I will not follow sheep.
    I want experience games,
    not you lame ass flames.

12. Mad-elph

Oh and for the record, yes I do play only games on Sony, but thats because I really never thought other systems were better. I give them an at par rating, so why should I trade in my tried tested and true, for a new controller, a system of death and a pay-for internet service.
    As a student I must be smart with my purchases, and getting a PS3 last year has been cheaper for me than any of my friends and their ‘ringed boxes.
    I don’t care if they’ve fixed it its still not worth it.

There are problems with both I agree, but once you pay for the PS3 you don’t have to pay for it again and again.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Mad-elph
    You clearly didn’t put much thought
    In your passionate, but yet, flawed retort
    Do you really think that Sony care
    about you with prices so unfair?
    Nay, in truth they are just hapless clowns
    Thinking I would pay five hundred pounds!
    No, it’s Sony-boy’s like you who keep giving
    Brainwashed by the lie ‘This Is Living’
    And you rush to throw money away
    On the hype that preceeded Blu-Ray
    Keep your ‘I hate MS!’ to yourself
    Oh Sony fanboy, foolish, young Mad-elph.

14. Mad-elph

Why would it be so unfair to spend some money freely,
    I see you try to persuade me with an argument of costly.
    But what you have is a system designed by the bossy,
    I shall not align with you to spend each monthly gleely.

My friend your argument is throwing stone in glass,
    I am well aware that they do not care for me.
    But they give a system that works with online: free,
    And for this I can be happy with our wonderful past.

No matter what you say the truth at the end of the day,
    I will always return home to my sexy beast in black.
    Despite your insistence of its cost it never bites back,
    And left with this simple fact, for reliability I will pay.

- Mad-elph
    P.S. Multi-platforms are common to us all, and the PS brand has decent enough shooters that I need not a 360. But they haven’t come out with something unique, so I stay where the games go, and that will be the PS.

I know many don’t believe this, but compare next year, KZ2 vs. Huxley, its pretty damn clear, Huxley is UT 2007, nothing more.
    And GoW has always referred to the Gods not some damn cog.

15. Michael O'Connor

One problem with this whole argument.

You’re discussing the financial gain of each system, yet you’re neglecting to take into consideration what consumers will do with the system once they buy it.

In the current market, buying the product from the store is one a small piece of the pie. Microsoft and Sony made their money as soon as they sold it to the retailer, and the more a machine sells, the more a store will buy, so they’re only gonna shift more units if people buy more units.

You’re also neglecting to take into consideration the manufacturing costs of each machine, and I’ll wager that PS3 costs more to manufacture than the 360.

Direct consumer investment comes later, thanks to services like Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network. Simplifying this whole argument to simply maths like “So at twice the price the PS3 sells half the units and its a complete loss? You can make fun of me all you want, but its the same revenue in the end.” misses the point so much.

But at the end of the day, does it really matter? Every format has something to enjoy, so lets just enjoy it, mmmkay? <3

16. Mad-elph

Michael I agree, but Sony sells directly on its own store (online and bricks and mortar) a good chunk of units, whereas 360 sells a ton at big box stores when they are marked down in bundles on Black Friday.

MS probably has a cheaper console cost, I agree completely. But they therefore sell it cheaper, hence the 200 price tag.

Its possible that they are costing each company the same thing in the end (I won’t even guess at this price) and the final result is equal, thats all I wanted to point out with revenue argument.

Now if Sony could shift more units from its own store online or bricks and mortar then they’d be better off than MS. If they sell the majority at their own shops they must be making huge profit, but they likely only sell 20-30% there.

17. Hero of Canton

Potty. You’ve just dissed two of the best controllers of all time.

This revenue argument was used for the GameCube as well, and look where that ended up. Still, if Nintendo’s bounceback is anything to go by, the PS4 will be a planet-slaying behemoth, and Sony will be the ones posting 2m sales one November in the future.