Dragon Quest X confirmed for Wii (update)

Wednesday, 10th December 2008 07:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dragonquesta.jpg

Update: It’s been announced in a press conference – see on Reuters.

According to this Joystiq report and a torrent of others, Square’s just confirmed Dragon Quest X as a Wii game.

It’s a little unclear at the moment, but it seems the title will be exclusive to the platform.

This will be the first Dragon Quest game to grace a current gen console.

The firm also said Dragon Quest IX will be releasing for DS on March 28.

1. Blerk

This doesn’t really come as a surprise. Dragon Quest has historically always shifted to the most popular format of the day.

Given the wonky PS3 performance in Japan I don’t think they’d have ever risked another big-name RPG on it at the minute, and they can probably reuse loads of the stuff they created for DQVIII on the PS2 to boot.

That said… I’m a tad disappointed. Even though I have a Wii.

2. Vahn16

Frankly, DQ games just feel inherently suited to portable platforms in my opinion — mostly ’cause they’re so long, I guess. So while I own a Wii, I’d rather DQX were hitting the DS. Oh well.

3. scratchy69

Yeah, predictable. Not that disappointing though. DQ will never be as good as FF.

4. Tonka

FF games are really, really bad though. So DQ games must be unbearable.

5. Esha

I don’t know about that, Tonka. It’s true that most Final Fantasy games are bad, but it’s a matter of watching out for the really good ones. VI and IX come to mind, they were both brilliant.

Though I admit I bought VII because of Red XIII, the only character whom never really saw any fleshing out, and ended up being completely one-dimensional. But I still dug him. …then they went and turned him into Scooby Doo for Advent Children and only gave him one line. Bloody Square.

6. Gekidami

The only DQ game i played was the last one released on PS2, it was utter rubish imo, boring as hell, yet it still scored well…

7. Pixelorama

Looks like you guys don’t know a thing about RPGs…Oh well…

Ok, so this is really GREAT news. Dragon Quest/Warrior is my favourite RPG series, and having it on Wii will be really good.

I started playing DW many years ago, with the third episode on GameBoy Color, and it felt completely natural. Really a great game.

Dragon Warrior VIII was bad?…Wow…No comments…

8. scratchy69

DWVIII wasn’t bad – it was a fantastically polished piece of software as you could hope for. It was just a bit long-winded and predictable. And a bit too simple.