MotorStorm 2 does 1 million sales

Tuesday, 9th December 2008 20:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

motorstorm2a2.jpg

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift has passed 1 million sales, Sony Europe studios boss Michael Denny’s told GI.

“We’re pleased with the high Metacritic rating of 82 per cent and it’s sold over a million units worldwide,” he said.

The games was released at the beginning of November, entering the charts at number 29 in the UK and then falling the following week to 35.

Just goes to show. More through there.

1. Psychotext

I have trouble seeing how that’s possible… unless they’re shipped numbers. Two weeks in the UK charts (29th / 35th), 1 week in the Japanese top 40 (31st). No weeks in any of the European top 10s. Under 75k in the first month in the US. I know titles can sometimes be slow burners… but you don’t pull a million sales in a month if you’re not in the charts.

Would love to see the breakdown on that. Maybe the game was huge in the middle east or something. :)

2. JPickford

Sony voodoo.

3. Mad-elph

or in the Pacific Rim?

But I’d doubt they’d come out and say 1 Million if they only had 750,000, because someone is bound to find the fault and it would be bad publicity, something they don’t need more of.

4. Cort

Stunned. I think it’s utter crap and prefer the first by miles.

I can see what they were trying to do; I just think they failed.

Edit: BTW, I think LBP hits a million this week. But then again, I did read that in an article that said MS:PR has only done 300k so far…… Can you ask SCEE, guys?

5. Psychotext

Maybe there a bundle I’m unaware of? I know the US and UK don’t have one but perhaps elsewhere in PAL territories. But still, that would have to be a tonne of PS3s sold in the last month.

6. Syrok

That shouldn’t matter, because according to you in some older comment, those games that are bundled with a console are not counted. :)

Edit: There is a Motorstorm bundle in France by the way.

7. Psychotext

Not counted in charts. Which would explain why it would have sold so much despite the charts indicating it was a bit of a bomb.

8. wz

Sony just re-scheduled this press release from mid-2009 to today for strategic reasons.

9. Syrok

:D

10. Johnny Cullen

In other PS news: THE DARK KNIGHT =D

11. tenthousandgothsonacid

It’s a great word of mouth hit. I love MS2 and most folk who come round my house and play it go away and buy it afterwards…

12. JPickford

And yet it doesn’t trouble the charts?

13. DrDamn

I enjoyed the first but was a bit meh about this one. The demo they released was quite poor and out of date. Still only £20 in the ShopTo sale (along with LBP and Resistance 2 but they have both sold out already).