EA cuts forecast on slow Q4 sales

Tuesday, 9th December 2008 22:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadspacea6.jpg

EA’s dropped its fourth quarter estimates, warning that its holiday roster has failed to meet expectation.

The firm’s stock closed 11 percent down on the day, souring to $19.35.

EA said it expected net revenue to come in between $4.9 billion and $5.15 billion for the year, with earnings of $1 to $1.40 a share.

EA did not give a specific revenue or earnings target in its newest statement. The company said it will not give further information before its next earnings report, due in February.

“While we saw significant improvement in the overall quality of our key products this year, we are disappointed that our holiday slate is not meeting our sales expectations,” said CEO John Riccitiello.

More on Marketwatch.

1. DarkElfa

Could it be because you keep releasing buggy as hell games and DRMing your fan base to death?

2. Smartypants

Could it be because every single publisher releases their biggest game during the same few months each year, thereby screwing themselves over?

DRM has nothing to do with it btw, only geeks know about that. The general public could care less.

3. Hunam

Well, at least they tried to put some original IP out this year, I can’t say I blame them if they go back to the old EA of shovelware and anual sequels. We bitch about them for years, they relent and give us what we want and we don’t buy it. Well I did, but you lot didn’t, you cunts.

4. Psychotext

It’s funny really… had I not been buried in games then Dead Space and Mirror’s Edge would certainly have been two titles I’d have picked up.

5. Esha

That is a shame. Dead Space was one of my games of the year. The whole scenario had been done before, but there were elements that made it special. The weapons were so unique (an air-blast gun, and as Tycho of Penny Arcade pointed out, weapons that fire planes and shapes of damage), which made fighting off the hordes a blast. The atmosphere was fun to engage oneself with in the dark, not all that thick but good for cheap thrills. And there were secret elements to the storyline that could only be discovered if one were to go all out and translate the marker language.

The story became quite interesting too, when combined with the movie and the animated comic books. Though I feel that all three were really required to enjoy Dead Space (watched in the order of: comics first, movie, then game).

6. Blerk

Well, I played Mirror’s Edge and I plan to play Dead Space. When I get around to it. So all is not lost, John! Still at least one sale to come! :-D

7. Tonka

Blerk in “I play games” shocker.