PC gaming is still “healthy,” says AMD boss

Friday, 28th November 2008 15:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

amdlogo.jpg

AMD general manager Rick Bergman has told VentureBeat that the PC gaming market’s still a “healthy” place with “strong” sales still very much in evidence.

Snip:

VB: Do you think that people have a strong appetite for high-end graphics?

RB: If you look at the sales, it’s still healthy. The third quarter was down a little from last year. But the market keeps getting bigger and bigger.

VB: Is PC gaming healthy?

RB: There is a very compelling story on why PC gaming is so healthy now. When you consider shipments of high-end gaming rigs and strong sales of online games such as World of Warcraft, you can see how strong it is. Sales at the high end continue to astound me. We address that by putting two of our sweet spot chips into one board. The gaming platforms tend to be the first place where games appear, but we are in about 80 percent of the gaming consoles sold, since we’re in the Microsoft and Nintendo consoles.

The full interview’s in interesting stuff: take a look.

1. DaMan

I bet this will end as PC vs consoles, or perhaps AMD vs Intel.

2. Blerk

PC gaming’s not healthy if you own my PC.

3. Whizzo

I still can’t get used to calling ATI’s stuff AMD, so I won’t!

The red team has had a good year with their products and given the greens a nice scare, hopefully this will continue next year and keep everyone on their toes.

4. cachucha

yep, all my friends are getting 4000s videocards series this Christmas XD, really nice year for amd

5. jigglybean

And so it is. The charts don’t include PC digital downloading from places like Steam. When they do, more PC titles will be in the all formats.

However, certain publishers and developers just find the PC hard work, with all its different hardware set ups and tech support requirements, hence why they are saying that the PC is dead.

Wrath of the Lich King sold more units in 24 hours than Fable 2 did in 3 weeks and shifted probably more than Gears of bore 2. A dead format? I think not.

6. Kalain

@jigglybean: I agree with the sales, but since they only look at the boxed games since no console game is downloadable, and I’m not talking about the Xbox marketplace or PSN.

As for the devs finding the PC hardwork, where did you hear that? The devs I know prefer programming on the PC than consoles because they can attempt to do more, plus they like using DirectX since it simplifies a lot of things. The one I know who has done work on a PS3 has said that it was the most horrific platform he’s ever developed for. People are saying the PC is dead because they release poor, buggy, ports of console games. They don’t realise that PC gamers will pick up on the glitch here and there, whilst console gamers won’t.

7. Gamoc

There are many full PSP games (ie, also on UMD) on PSN, and Burnout Paradise (full, PS3 bluray game) is on there too.

8. jigglybean

When I say hard work, I mean that publishers have to offer some kind of tech support, graphic card issues etc. With consoles, there isnt much of a need.