Rumour: GameStation to cut Fable II to £20 next week

Thursday, 27th November 2008 14:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fableiigamestationhomea.jpg

UK retailer GameStation is to cut the price of Fable II to £20 in a promotion next week, if pictures of promotional leaflets we’ve just been sent are to be believed.

We’ve been advised that this may go live this Friday “if they feel like it,” so keep your eyes peeled tomorrow if you fancy getting yourself a copy for a song.

See the full image after the break.

1. Blerk

/rubs hands with glee

2. Psychotext

/stuffs Pat’s pocket

…wait, that doesn’t sound right!

3. Deanzor

Fabelol

4. Newbie101

Makes sense, everyone who wanted it has bought it now…

5. ecu

Would not be happy about that, given that I paid £45 for it when it came out. >:(

6. Psychotext

You paid £45? Nutter!

7. GordonR

Yes, in among all the general hilarity about LBP, it went mostly unnoticed that Fable 2 dropped out of the chart with alarming speed.

8. JPickford

This is interesting. CEX will currently give you 25 quid cash. So you could make a bit of money.

Or to save messing about Gamestation will beat CEX prices by 1 quid. So you can buy it and sell it back to them right away.

Just don’t tell CEX about this.

9. Blerk

10. sennasnit

Nobody should ever pay £45 for a game, shop around try http://www.play.com or even a comparison website like http://www.findprice.co.uk/ i haven’t paid £40 since i had my Megadrive…

11. Newbie101

“Well, it dropped out of the charts fairly quickly but it sold over 1.5 million copies before it went. Not much call for lollage there, tbh.”

Errr 1.5 million worldwide figures is nothing. Yes, its not been out long so it IS good, BUT to be out the charts already is crazy.

12. Psychotext

1.5 million worldwide is nothing?!?

13. Blerk

@Newbie:
    Not at this time of year it isn’t. Even GTA4 dropped out of the charts quite quickly and that was at a much less busy time of the year. The only games which have any staying power in the charts are the few Wii games which every Wii owner always buys – your Wii Plays, your Mario Karts, etc.

Fable was in the charts for four weeks (it only dropped out of the top 40 this week), which is pretty good going for what most people would regard to be a niche genre.

Edit: And I second Psycho – 1.5 million sales is big.
    Edit 2: And it’s not out in Japan yet. Although they probably won’t buy it.

14. Michael O'Connor

“And it’s not out in Japan yet. Although they probably won’t buy it.”

Considering how well the Grand Theft Autos sold over there, and the fact that’s an RPG with a heavily stylised look… you’d be surprised.

15. ecu

I don’t like to pre-order online because I like I guarantee I’ll have the game on day 1. I wanted my fill of Fable II goodness on the Friday night, so there’s no way I was risking waiting until Monday from Play or wherever. I wanted the LE, too, which is £5 more expensive.

16. Psychotext

You need to start trusting the online companies a bit more. I had my LE the day before release date and for £35 from Zavvi. :)

17. Roybott

@ecu: Most online retailers actually send them out early, I’ve had pretty much every game I’ve preordered in the last year arrive Thursday morning and NONE later than the friday. GAME actually gauruntee launch day delivery I believe, although again I recieved most preorders from them on Thursdays too.

18. Whizzo

I only hadn’t bought it due to the massive amount of other titles out there, I always intended to at some point.

My only problem is there’s no Gamestation anywhere near me, my local one reverted to being part of Blockbusters when that part of the organisation got sold to GAME.

19. ecu

I’ve ordered online before, I can’t ever recall getting a game on day 1. Play have started shipping out on Thursdays now, haven’t they? I’d rather not risk it. I order tons of stuff online as it is, but I can only trust myself to get the game exactly at the time I want it. Getting it the day before isn’t a bonus for me anyway, as I can’t get stuck in to the game properly until the weekend anyway.

20. Psychotext

Play are a bunch of clowns. Use a company with significantly less clowns. ;)

21. Newbie101

“1.5 million worldwide is nothing?!?”

Gears of War 2 have gone over 2 million already so no, 1.5million is nothing.

22. Whizzo

What a bizarre statement.

23. ecu

Gears of War 2 have gone over 2 million already so no, 1.5million is nothing.

You are an idiot.

24. Psychotext

Constant source of amusement. :D

I agree though. Halo 3 has done 8.1m, Mario Kart has done 9.5m and MGS4 has done 3.0m. Everything else this gen has done nothing. NOTHING!

25. morriss

hehe

26. Esha

Oy vey.

Fable II sold better than I thought it would, in honesty. It’s a lovely game, to be sure, but it’s also rather predictable and I felt it didn’t play like a full-priced game should. It was really very fun for what was there, but what was there wasn’t as much as it should have been.

At £19.99 though, Fable II hits what I think is probably the sweet spot, and I can actually start recommending it to people in good conscience, because that’s a perfect price for the game. At that price, it deserves to do well.

27. Newbie101

Listen;

I didn’t say 1.5mill was bad, if you consider 1.5mill and look how long the game has been out for, that’s good selling BUT it’s not the sort of sales MS are after. Fable is one of the 360s big games and they will be looking for figures like Gears 2 hence why the price is now low.

just imo ;)

28. GordonR

Would it be MS that would make that decision this early in the game’s shelf life, or would it be UK Gamestation themselves, who might have over-ordered and are now stuck with a large number of copies of a game that’s now no longer shifting?

29. Psychotext

Do you think by posting more you’ll make any more sense Newbie? MS expect a sequel to a game which sold 2 million in its first two years to sell as well as the sequel to a game that sold 5 million in one year?

Really? Reeeeaaaaaallly?

30. Newbie101

it’s all about opinions ;). I’ve always said Fable 2 has sold well, I’m just saying maybe not as well as they hoped.

sorry for having a negative comment against a 360 game.

31. Psychotext

Hahah… I totally knew that was coming. It’s ok though, I’d have responded in much the same way if you’d said Sony expect Uncharted 2 to do Metal Gear Solid numbers. Or Nintendo expect Super Paper Mario 2 to do SSBB numbers.

As I’ve said in the past… you can hope whatever you want to, it doesn’t make it any more likely to happen. Expectations are another thing entirely.

32. Newbie101

;o)

33. Blerk

Deal’s up right now. If anyone wanted a copy. Plus Gamestation have already dropped their VAT to 15%, so it might be even cheaper.

34. Whizzo

It’s on their website with free delivery as well, just a pity their checkout is borked at the moment!