“Who gives a shit” about target renders, says Motorstorm dev

Wednesday, 26th November 2008 21:18 GMT By Mike

motorstorm.jpg

In defence of using a target-rendered CGI movie to advertise Motorstorm way back, Evolution Studios’ Nigel Kershaw has responded by saying, “no-one gives a shit,” “this is how we make games.”

“You didn’t match your target render!” says Kershaw sarcastically as though some child were taunting the development team.

“Who gives a shit, ya know? That’s how we makes games, if you’ve got a problem with it, then tough!”

Seriously. We’re not lying. See for yourselves after the break.

By Mike Bowden

1. Gekidami

…Wasnt this already reported by you guys?

2. morriss

/checks

I can’t see anything.

3. Whizzo

OLD!

4. Gekidami

I see it, not quite the same, just on the same subject: http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/11/08/motorstorm-dev-boss-everybody-makes-such-a-big-fucking-deal-out-of-target-renders/
    EDIT: nah, Whizzo, its not old, just the same topic thats came up in another interview.

5. morriss

No, it’s exactly the same. Oops.

6. Smartypants

Nobody would have a problem with target renders if publishers and/or developers would not insinuate that it’s real-time. Somebody should inform that guy, he seems to be terribly misguided about the reason why they were criticised so much.

7. Cort

“”Who gives a shit” about target renders”

Thankfully, the devs of KZ2 and GoW3, apparently…..but I digress.

I wouldn’t mind them saying this if they hadn’t come up with such a miserably dull game in Pacific Rift. Sure, the tracks are big, but they are a visual mess – yet at the same time remarkably easy to beat (I won my first fifteen races at the first attempt at each!). The vehicles handle like oil tankers filled to the brim and sound like wasps trapped in a jam jar. I’ve gone back to the original game already.

8. SplatteredHouse

The target renders were advertising the suggested power of the PS3 at the time, just as much as they were making the game Motorstorm itself known about. The footage was created by an outside agency, for the benefit of Sony, for the unveiling – as is mentioned in the video. It is, though, based around the Motorstorm concept.
    I think that the Evolution Studios team’s reaction was wholly justified, and perhaps even restrained, for the situation in which they then found themselves, and the expectation placed upon them.

Which makes it all the better, that they then took it in their stride, and delivered and fully supported a ground-breaking off road racer for platform launch, and expanded the idea successfully with a great follow-up. That, to me is the story, here, if anything.
    I fully support people not giving a crap about adhering to target renders, if games as fantastically playable and enjoyable as these then result! :)

9. morriss

I thought it was “good”

10. furianboy

I love how they’re being nice calling these “target renders”. Target renders wouldn’t be publicly released. Once you start showing them to the general public, whether you intend to or not, you’re saying “yeah, this is how it will look” and you rightfully open yourself up to criticism when you don’t meet the bar set by your bullshots.