Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix hits Live

Wednesday, 26th November 2008 10:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

sf2hd5.jpg

Nelson’s posted the impossible: Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix has actually released. The game’s only available on Xbox 360 in Europe this week, as an unknown hiccup has kept the game off PS3 for now.

You really may as well buy it. Go fight someone. There’s little else going on.

1. BillyBatts

2. Truk

Yay, regurgitate shit old games.

3. Michael O'Connor

“November 26th, 2008 at 10:42 am

Yay, regurgitate shit old games.”

…wow.

You mean the “old, shit game” that defined the entire fighting-game genre? And with an extremely gorgeous visual makeover, optional remixed mechanics that balances the game even more, and worldwide versus gameplay, I think anyone with even an ounce of respect for the fighting genre “gets” why this game is a big deal.

And the one time I want to get something on the Marketplace… I don’t have the points. Bah. -__-

4. Shatner

Now now Truk, you know you’re not allowed to voice opinions other than the popular ones.

Go to the naughty step and think about what you’ve done.

5. Truk

Sorry, never liked SF. Can barely understand why others like it. Same for the rest of the fighting genre.

6. mart

Well it’s one thing to say you’re not a fan of a genre and so this game means nothing to you; that’s fair enough. It’s another to flat out renounce something as “shit” when it clearly isn’t :)

7. Esha

Well if it’s going to be like that, then I’m going to admit that the only fighting games I ever truly loved were of the Bloody Roar series.

Though Street Fighter II was a fun way to pass the time, and knocking snotty, egotistical little brats down a peg or five was my favourite past-time at the local arcade, and there always seemed to be such an unending supply of brats to work with. The Universe is sometimes kind like that.

I’ve not the skill or memory (for combos) to do that anymore, but I’m sure there’s going to be some rather humble and quiet warrior of the PSN/Live wastes who’ll give the PS3/XBox kids a sound thrashing. Or 50. More power to them.

8. Truk

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be objective. In my opinion it’s a shit, old game. :-)

I’m aware that most the population disagree. That’s fair enough. It’s just that I’d rather have something new. And not a fighting game. ;-)

9. Gekidami

I’m ok with this releasing, it actually looks nice. What i couldnt stand was that MegaMan 9 turd Capcom served up, i’m surprised they didnt make it in Game Maker.

10. G1GAHURTZ

SFII is number 1 on my top 10 games list.

1. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Arcade, SNES)
    2. Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    4. Super Mario Land (Gameboy)
    5. Super Mario All Stars (SNES)
    6. Tetris (Gameboy)
    7. Call of Duty 4 (360)
    8. Test Drive Unlimited (360)
    9. Tekken 3 (PS1)
    10. Gears of War (360)

11. BillyBatts

Ken’s got some seriously Alistair Darling-esque, light hair dark brows going on in that pic.

12. Esha

“It’s just that I’d rather have something new.”

This I can relate to. It’s very rare that anything good comes out of gouging and raping intellectual property, the only thing that’s been marginally enjoyable from that stable lately is Fallout 3, and that caught me by surprise because I expected that to be entirely shit – as opposed to the best game Bethesda has released since Daggerfall.

I’d have to say though that 9 times out of 10, when dealing with an old IP, the game’s going to be shit. Not everything can be Monkey Island II: Lechuck’s Revenge, and there are so few instances of a game which was as good as, or even better than the last game that used that IP.

And what we’re seeing here with Street Fighter II is nothing more than emulation with fancy graphics, to say it’s anything more would e lying. I remember a while back some chap did that with a bunch of old arcade machines, perfect emulation with updated graphics. The project pretty much lost interest because the games were so old and updated graphics just didn’t help.

This is why we should be heralding anything that’s really new and innovative, or anything that really does try to make something out of an old IP, instead of just regurgitating the same old shit. I know some people are stuck in the past, swamped with nostalgia and all, but they need to go back and play these old games today to see how they’ve aged. They need to break down the illusions that nostalgia provides and see things for what they really are.

So I see what you were getting at, in one respect. Old usually does equal shit, it’s almost inevitable, no matter how much we may want to deny it. This is true of almost every medium, as an example: Most grafitti artists today are more talented than the great artists of old, and that might label me as a heretic but I give not a damn. In my opinion, van Gogh isn’t a patch on Banksy.

“And not a fighting game.”

This I can’t agree with, though.

Aside from some obscure tripe, the versus fighting game genre has all but died out, it’s in the same shape as the point & click adventure game. I’d like to see a fighting game, but I’d like to see one that could completely revolutionise the genre and give it a bit of a renaissance in the eyes of people, and remind everyone why it was so great in the first place.

Street Fighter can’t do that anymore, I feel. But a new effort just might.

13. Michael O'Connor

“And what we’re seeing here with Street Fighter II is nothing more than emulation with fancy graphics, to say it’s anything more would e lying”

Actually, it wouldn’t be lying. Characters and moves have been rebalanced and alter by expert players from around the world to balance out the gameplay even more. It also have fully implemented ranking versus and tournament modes.

“They need to break down the illusions that nostalgia provides and see things for what they really are.”

There’s nothing “nostalgic” about it. Street Fighter II is the most competitively played fighting game in the genre nearly 20 years after its creation, because it’s the most balanced pinnacle of the genre, not because some kids are wearing rainbow tinted glasses of the past.

The HD re-skin just helps bring it into the modern age a bit more.

“Aside from some obscure tripe, the versus fighting game genre has all but died out, it’s in the same shape as the point & click adventure game.”

Now that, right, is a gross exaggeration. The games continue to sell well, are usually packed with players online long after other games’ multiplayer has died out, and still remains one of the strongest niche-cultures in gaming.

If fighting games are “all but dead”, then long live fighting games!

“Street Fighter can’t do that anymore.”

What, Street Fighter IV *hasn’t* done that?

“and remind everyone why it was so great in the first place.”

Go a round with me of Virtua Fighter V on Xbox Live and you’ll be reminded of why the genre was so great in the first place.

For anyone interested in some “nostalgic” fighting game action on Xbox Live, my gamertag is

” Words of Ivory “